Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chipping bottles, trying to find culprit  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Chipping bottles, trying to find culprit
« on: September 16, 2017, 09:31:02 am »
Hi All,
Here recently, I've noticed that several of my bottles are getting small chips on the mouth of the bottle. I have a few ideas, but wanted to see if anyone has had this happen before. I recently started brushing the bottles as well as soaking in oxyclean. I also bought a super agata bench capper at about the same time. When I use the bottle brush, sometimes the twisted metal shaft scrapes the bottle lip. These are the only two things I can come up with for cause. Anyone have this happen before? I'm hoping it's not the capper, the bell looks OK.

Thanks for any input.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Chipping bottles, trying to find culprit
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:36:04 am »
Hi All,
Here recently, I've noticed that several of my bottles are getting small chips on the mouth of the bottle. I have a few ideas, but wanted to see if anyone has had this happen before. I recently started brushing the bottles as well as soaking in oxyclean. I also bought a super agata bench capper at about the same time. When I use the bottle brush, sometimes the twisted metal shaft scrapes the bottle lip. These are the only two things I can come up with for cause. Anyone have this happen before? I'm hoping it's not the capper, the bell looks OK.

Thanks for any input.

Titanium braces? I jest....

I bet its the new capper unfortunately.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 10:39:29 am »
Yeah, I'd bet the capper first. Pretty sure I've read other reports of chips with that capper.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:49:09 pm »
When I first started brewing I had a bottle brush that would tear up bottles.  It was oversized and required way too much effort to get the brush into a bottle. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 09:25:32 pm »
My old capper did that a time or two.  Capper.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 10:51:03 am »
I'm gonna give the bench capper one more try and see if I get any more chips. I  thought of another issue, I sometimes repurpose commercial bottles. Wonder if they are a bit thinner and are the ones giving me trouble. Hard to tell after the label comes off.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 07:50:07 am »
I had one of the bottle openers (for lack of a better description shaped somewhat like a yield sign) that occasionally chipped bottles.  It contacted the cap at three points.  After I chipped the first two bottles, it went into the trash.

But speaking of the super agata cappers, I ordered one about three months ago.   It would barely seal the bottles, and I was afraid that three volumes of CO2 would blow the cap.  I returned it to Great Fermentations, they agreed with me that it was defective, and refunded my money.

It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 09:00:58 am »
I have an old style double ended opener.  Bottle opener on one end and can puncher on the other end.  The hook on the bottle opener is long enough to grab the lip of the bottle.  I've taken chips out of bottles and even taken half the top off.  I still use it but careful to make sure the hook is just barely under the edge of the cap to prevent grabbing the lip of the bottle.