Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brown ale.  (Read 6544 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Brown ale.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 06:09:10 am »
I'm with Denny on the 5.3 choice for a brown ale, hoppy or otherwise. The only time I like an increased pH is when I want to enhance the perception of roast character in something like a stout or porter. Most other ales fall in the 5.3-5.4 range, and I'm finding myself enjoying the ones on the lower side of that range better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 06:13:40 am »
I'm with Denny on the 5.3 choice for a brown ale, hoppy or otherwise. The only time I like an increased pH is when I want to enhance the perception of roast character in something like a stout or porter. Most other ales fall in the 5.3-5.4 range, and I'm finding myself enjoying the ones on the lower side of that range better.

Personally, I feel a higher pH softens and rounds out roast character in my beers, as opposed to enhancing it. I get more of a sharp, acrid thing from roast malts at low pH. Regardless, we're just talking about a moderate chocolate addition in a brown ale anyway, so the pH wouldn't be as big an issue either way.
Jon H.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 06:50:49 am »

Personally, I feel a higher pH softens and rounds out roast character in my beers, as opposed to enhancing it. I get more of a sharp, acrid thing from roast malts at low pH. Regardless, we're just talking about a moderate chocolate addition in a brown ale anyway, so the pH wouldn't be as big an issue either way.
Reminds of last year when i first started looking into water chemistry. This was before i knew about Bru n water or ez water. I used a 5.2 stabelizer in an oatmeal stout, it tasted like chewing on a lump of charcoal. Bad memories.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 10:11:06 am »

In my recipe (http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle) there is no real roast malt and just a bit of chocolate.  I prefer the very slightly lower pH for it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 10:23:58 am »
Yeah, I agree that the chocolate is pretty negligible in brown. I was more saying that, in general, a higher pH softens roast character IMO. Obviously not too much roast here. I just like mine at 5.5 a little better.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 10:40:19 am »
Yeah, I agree that the chocolate is pretty negligible in brown. I was more saying that, in general, a higher pH softens roast character IMO. Obviously not too much roast here. I just like mine at 5.5 a little better.

In general, I agree with you on both points!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 10:42:23 am »

In general, I agree with you on both points!

:)
Jon H.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 02:08:45 pm »
I see some folks add all the rosted grain during mash out. Would this be another way to soften the roast charecter?

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 02:26:25 pm »
I see some folks add all the rosted grain during mash out. Would this be another way to soften the roast charecter?

Yes. It all depends what you want in the beer. If you want less roast character just use less roasted malt. I think a lot of people add it later when attempting to get more color without the roast.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale