Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Genesis Fermenter  (Read 7672 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Genesis Fermenter
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:26:08 pm »
Trying out one of these for the first time today....https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/genesis-fermenter
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Genesis Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 12:50:17 pm »
Trying out one of these for the first time today....https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/genesis-fermenter
Could be cool with a "no oxygen" transfer if you could pump air between the bag and the fermenter wall.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 01:04:04 pm »
Could be cool with a "no oxygen" transfer if you could pump air between the bag and the fermenter wall.

Not sure I follow you....what would be the benefit?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 02:14:58 pm »
His thought is to blow plain air into the void between the fermenter and bladder to push the beer out vs pushing with co2 in contact with beer. Like a party pig keg

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 02:16:59 pm »
His thought is to blow plain air into the void between the fermenter and bladder to push the beer out vs pushing with co2 in contact with beer. Like a party pig keg

Based no looking at it, I don't think that would work.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 02:28:38 pm »
hmm, looking at it, and I gather it is a wide mouth plastic jug that comes with sanitary liner. After you ferment you just transfer the beer and chuck the liner?

It seems like if someone just sold sanitary liners you could use cheap Walmart plastic water jugs and get the same effect. What am I missing here?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 02:57:50 pm »

If you were one of those LODO guys, you could transfer beer without introducing O2. The nice thing would be you could do this if you bottle conditioned, without having to invest in a CO2 setup. You'd also be able to do this at ground level, without moving the fermenter and shaking up trub.

I kind of imagine attaching a schrader (bike pump) valve on the side, and like Stevie said, pushing air into the void between the fermenter wall and the beer bag.

Looks like an interesting product, any idea on what the liners are going to cost? Looks like the fermenter is ~$60.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 05:59:24 pm »

Hey Denny, so what is the idea behind this. Easy or no cleanup by using the bags, no sanitation required?

Offline Black Lion Homebrewery

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 07:42:00 am »
Looks like it will create a lot of landfill waste  :-\  I'll stick with my buckets and carboys

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:26:08 am »
This looks like a piece of equipment designed for every short term homebrewer who brewed a couple batches, hated all the cleaning and immediately departed from the hobby. The problem with that concept is that there's still every other piece of equipment to clean and a bucket is probably the single easiest piece to clean.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 08:35:03 am »
   The gasket looks exactly like the one in the last Fast Ferment I bought, I'd be more surprised than not if it isn't the same. Of the 4 variations on their gasket I have, it's definitely the one that seals the best, but also the absolute worst one for staying in place inside the lid. The damn thing spent half of one ferment swimming in the beer!
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 08:36:37 am »
You guys are missing the fact that you don't have to use a liner...it's optional.  The fermenter itself is much heavier and oxygen impervious than a plastic water jug.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 08:37:48 am »
   The gasket looks exactly like the one in the last Fast Ferment I bought, I'd be more surprised than not if it isn't the same. Of the 4 variations on their gasket I have, it's definitely the one that seals the best, but also the absolute worst one for staying in place inside the lid. The damn thing spent half of one ferment swimming in the beer!

Tje gasket is specifically designed for the Genesis.  They delayed the design until they could get that just right.  It both seals well and stays in place.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 08:38:42 am »

If you were one of those LODO guys, you could transfer beer without introducing O2. The nice thing would be you could do this if you bottle conditioned, without having to invest in a CO2 setup. You'd also be able to do this at ground level, without moving the fermenter and shaking up trub.

I kind of imagine attaching a schrader (bike pump) valve on the side, and like Stevie said, pushing air into the void between the fermenter wall and the beer bag.

Looks like an interesting product, any idea on what the liners are going to cost? Looks like the fermenter is ~$60.

I just don't think that would work.  I can,t see how the liquid would get pushed out when I stand here and look at it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 08:41:57 am »
It would need a dip tube just like racking.