Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ss Brew Bucket Thermowell  (Read 5128 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Ss Brew Bucket Thermowell
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:20:13 pm »
Finally committed and bought an Ss 7 gal stainless brew bucket.  Very excited about this.  I also picked up one of the thermwells to install as I will be using a Johnson controller to control fermentation temps. 
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to place it on the brew bucket?  Initial thoughts were on the side but out of the way of rotating racking arm but now thinking maybe in the top is better.  This seems easier and also will allow me to wrap a fermwrap heating element around the outside during the cooler months a lot easier.  It will submerge the probe down to about the 4gal mark if installed up top which seems sufficient as I more or less always will brew 5.5 gal batches.  Any thoughts?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Ss Brew Bucket Thermowell
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 02:30:19 pm »
I'm still planning on installing some thermowells on my brew bucket mini's, I was planning on installing through the lid. That way the joint will not be submerged (Less chance of cleaning issues). My other thought is if you screw up, a new lid is cheap. If you screw up the side, you need to get a whole new fermenter. Easier to drill on a flat lid also.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:59:40 pm »
At <5" long, I imagine the lid isn't ideal for the larger fermenters.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:01:59 pm »
Install? Are going to drill into your new toy? I use a stopper that has two holes. One for the probe and one for air lock.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:05:25 pm »
I just tapped a folded up shop towel on mine and stick the temp probe in it against the outside

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:37:06 pm »
So I guess my question is more about the best place to measure temps within a fermenter.  Is the top two inches of wort going to be much different than 8-10 inches down in the fermenter

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:10:06 pm »
At our volumes, not really.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:03:59 am »

I wasn't sure what size he has. SS Brewtech has thermowell's up to 300 mm (~1 ft) long, which should be plenty long enough for the lid.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:14:16 am »

I wasn't sure what size he has. SS Brewtech has thermowell's up to 300 mm (~1 ft) long, which should be plenty long enough for the lid.
Interesting. I was going off of the size listed as brewbucket accessories.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »
I have a stopper/bung with two holes and one hole has a thermowell about 12 inches long through the hole, so I just snake the probe down to the bottom of the thermowell and the other hole gets the airlock.  It may not be perfect, but it registers from the center of the fermenting wort, about 12" down from the top of the bung...and seems to be a reasonable location.  I am sure that there are currents and temperature differentials of some measurable degree, but I just live with what I have and it seems to work pretty ok.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 11:06:47 am »
I use the FTSs chiller accessory from SS Brewtech. It comes with a new lid that is fitted with a chiller coil and thermowell. Plus comes with a temp controller and probe... pump for recirculating cold water and hoses.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 11:33:51 am »
I tape the probe to the side of the fermenter. I checked the disparity between that and a submerged reading and it was less that a degree