Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Cap Ingress: Is it real?  (Read 8323 times)

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Bottle Cap Ingress: Is it real?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2018, 08:42:11 pm »
Herbstoff is something I can pick up easily. Traveling around Franconia, one runs into small older breweries that have it in their Helles. Locally I get it in many beers such as Kölsch style beers.

My wife has an excellent palate for most flavors. I think she may be blind to this one. She will get a beer, say it is really good, and I taste it make a face, and it is oxidized. Bilsch, have you had similar experiences with tasters not getting Herbstoff?

It happens all the time. I can taste a lot of things other people say they can’t. It’s not a blessing but more like a curse and makes finding truly great beers a difficult task. It also tough to share the flavor experiences with others without seeming like a beer snob. But as you know, the upside is every now and then you get that really great one which is worth the effort.

Yes I have also noted a lot of small breweries in Germany having obvious oxidation faults. Unfortunately it seems for brewers in every country there are few solutions to this problem other than costly equipment upgrades which are easier for the bigger ones to afford.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Bottle Cap Ingress: Is it real?
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2018, 09:08:02 pm »
Herbstoff is something I can pick up easily. Traveling around Franconia, one runs into small older breweries that have it in their Helles. Locally I get it in many beers such as Kölsch style beers.

My wife has an excellent palate for most flavors. I think she may be blind to this one. She will get a beer, say it is really good, and I taste it make a face, and it is oxidized. Bilsch, have you had similar experiences with tasters not getting Herbstoff?

It happens all the time. I can taste a lot of things other people say they can’t. It’s not a blessing but more like a curse and makes finding truly great beers a difficult task. It also tough to share the flavor experiences with others without seeming like a beer snob. But as you know, the upside is every now and then you get that really great one which is worth the effort.

Yes I have also noted a lot of small breweries in Germany having obvious oxidation faults. Unfortunately it seems for brewers in every country there are few solutions to this problem other than costly equipment upgrades which are easier for the bigger ones to afford.

Known as House flavors for some.

One guy told me fill from the bottom, etc. His 1970 system let him do that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!