Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stop spontaneous Fermentatin  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Mflobigsky

• 1st Kit
Stop spontaneous Fermentatin
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:47:48 pm »
I brewed 10 gallons of a Scotch Ale on Sunday and because of the higher OG and the fact I only had one vial of yeast, I started the yeast on a watered down version of the wort on Sunday as well. After waiting for the starter to finish and meaning to pitch tonight, I came home to discover my Wort was already fermenting. I don't want to lose this batch to a stanky yeast infection. Thoughts are to either cold crash the bad yeast out, siphon off, and pitch the good yeast, or to re boil trying to kill off the bad.

I pulled a little out and as it smells bad, it does not yet have a foul taste and the gravity hasn't dropped but .005.

Suggestions?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Stop spontaneous Fermentatin
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:51:35 pm »
Boil is really your only good option.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:15:49 am »
The bigger question is where are you having sanitation issues? Something broke down in the process.

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to do anything other than add clean yeast.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:53:55 am »
   Boil it or dump it - or wait and see what kind of slimy, 8 headed monster emerges from the muck.
   Several months ago I was doing a Rye Lager & after several time consuming, brain fart caused train wrecks, I was finally finishing collecting my sparge and I realized that all of my fermenters were full [duh, I knew there was a reason I had originally planned on bottling that day!]. By the time I finally did get one batch bottled and a fermenter free, sanitized and ready to go the day was gut-shot and I was beat. I crashed for the night with a nagging feeling that I had overlooked something very important. Early the next morning - 4ish - I fired up the stove under the BK full of 8 or 9 gallons of rye wort, took the lid off the BK and was greeted by the worst stench I've ever encountered in my kitchen and the sight of 3" or so of really active kraeusen [THAT was what I forgot to do, boil the wort the day before]. It was obvious that the batch was a goner, but just out of curiosity I left the fire on to see what would happen. The result was an massive intensification of the stench, and a boil the started at about 170* F, I'll let someone else explain that part.
   For those on the forum who have had suspicions that I am an idiot, I just confirmed those suspicions.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:46:55 am »
Heat to about 160 F for 15 minutes, cool, then pitch your good yeast.  It's worth a try but it still might not turn out to your liking.  If that happens, sorry to hear.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:37:20 pm »
I would try to pasteurize cool quickly  and pitch your starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mflobigsky

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 06:35:30 pm »
Update: I boiled everything for a minimum of 15 minutes or until the bad smell left and it smelled like sugary wort boiling again. I cooled and pitched my active yeast starter. Now 6 days, yeast is still flocculating well.  I will know in a few days when I rack to the secondary if I successfully resurrected the batch.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:44:01 pm »
   Boil it or dump it - or wait and see what kind of slimy, 8 headed monster emerges from the muck.
   Several months ago I was doing a Rye Lager & after several time consuming, brain fart caused train wrecks, I was finally finishing collecting my sparge and I realized that all of my fermenters were full [duh, I knew there was a reason I had originally planned on bottling that day!]. By the time I finally did get one batch bottled and a fermenter free, sanitized and ready to go the day was gut-shot and I was beat. I crashed for the night with a nagging feeling that I had overlooked something very important. Early the next morning - 4ish - I fired up the stove under the BK full of 8 or 9 gallons of rye wort, took the lid off the BK and was greeted by the worst stench I've ever encountered in my kitchen and the sight of 3" or so of really active kraeusen [THAT was what I forgot to do, boil the wort the day before]. It was obvious that the batch was a goner, but just out of curiosity I left the fire on to see what would happen. The result was an massive intensification of the stench, and a boil the started at about 170* F, I'll let someone else explain that part.
   For those on the forum who have had suspicions that I am an idiot, I just confirmed those suspicions.
Love this post!  Thanks for the chuckle!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:59 pm »
We are all idiots.  See my .sig.  ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:33:34 am »
Boil or freeze solid

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 02:00:41 pm »
S*** happens, live and learn.  It was already said, don't forget to find your weak link here.  You should be good for a few days before bugs set in.  I routinely set out my hydrometer to gauge this (pro brewers do something similar) and it usually takes 3-4 days before any action.  I'd probably replace all plastic stuff as a start.  Lastly, ALWAYS have a stash of dry yeast for such moments. 

Ran out of fermenters?  Ferment in the kettle...  I did once after a similar incident.  Boiling at 170F?>  Probably a bunch of alcohol boiling off.
Sam
Sandusky, OH