Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Article: "ABI To No Longer Focus On Brewery Acquisition"  (Read 2672 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Article: "ABI To No Longer Focus On Brewery Acquisition"
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:26:57 pm »
Pretty interesting. After the layoffs, it looks like a change in strategy involving a focus on existing acquisition expansion while stopping further buyouts. Could shake out in a number of ways. Time will tell.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/09/after-high-end-layoffs-ab-inbev-to-no-longer-focus.html
Jon H.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Article: "ABI To No Longer Focus On Brewery Acquisition"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 05:01:02 pm »
Makes sense. I remember P&G went through a culling of their brands a few years ago, they found out they had a lot of brands they were stealing sales from themselves, and spending a lot of money they didn't have to. I imagine if they bought too many breweries we'll be hearing about a few closing down in a few years.

The "building from the ground up" space seems interesting. I'm not quite sure what that means-are they planning on building in major markets only, and build unique brands for specific markets? Does it just mean focusing on partnering US breweries they own with up and comers in foreign markets?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:38:40 am »
Dang I'm ready to sell! lol

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 09:53:11 am »
They're not focusing on US buyouts any longer.  But a recent article said they're going to be doing more foreign buys.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:02:01 am »
Sure, this is not terribly surprising. ABI always wanted to build its own craft breweries from the ground up. It acquired because it couldn't get into the craft market otherwise. Now that it has a firm rooting in the craft industry and has the means to manufacture a following it doesn't need to engage in expensive acquisitions. In a few years nobody will remember or care to remember whether Brewery XYZ IPA was an acquired ABI brand or something they made up themselves.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewBama

Article: "ABI To No Longer Focus On Brewery Acquisition"
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:20:40 am »

If you do sell, please don't sell to an international conglomerate. Given the success of the new location, I'm sure there are plenty of smaller local investors that would buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:24:35 am by BrewBama »

Online tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 08:33:14 am »

If you do sell, please don't sell to an international conglomerate. Given the success of the new location, I'm sure there are plenty of smaller local investors that would buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll buy!