Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Advice  (Read 2149 times)

Offline monkeymullins

• 1st Kit
Yeast Advice
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:47:28 am »
Hi all bit of advice needed I have recipe which states OG 1101 & FG 1025

However Beersmith gives me OG 1085 & FG 1014

My question being the recipe calls for one pack of WLP013 is this going to be enough? I won't be able to do a starter so that's out of the question.

Thanks all for your advice in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Yeast Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:59:43 am »
First, the discrepancy in the OGs is a measure of needing your system efficiency. When you enter your accurate efficiency in Beersmith, you can then add the malt necessary in the software to hit your target 1.100  .

Secondly, don't trust software FG estimates, as a lot of factors affect FG.

As to the yeast question, no - one packet is a fraction of what you need for a beer that big. 3 packets of fairly fresh yeast would be enough to reasonably ferment your wort properly.
Jon H.

Offline monkeymullins

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 12:17:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Not to bothered with the discrepancy with gravity readings to be honest and understand the efficiency.

With regards to the yeast the other option than using WLP013 would be Danstar Windsor yeast now would 2 packs of dry pitched yeast be ok?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:26:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Not to bothered with the discrepancy with gravity readings to be honest and understand the efficiency.

With regards to the yeast the other option than using WLP013 would be Danstar Windsor yeast now would 2 packs of dry pitched yeast be ok?

Yeah, 2 dry packets for a 1.085 beer should be fine.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 12:51:53 pm »

Yeah, 2 dry packets for a 1.085 beer should be fine.

Agreed, but expect much lower attenuation out of Winsor. You could pitch a pack of Winsor and a pack of Nottingham or US-05 to get the best of both worlds if you wanted to.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline monkeymullins

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:21:21 pm »
Mixed yeast ay?! Never tried that before tempted by the Notty and Windsor. Have you tried that before then?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:28:33 pm »
Mixed yeast ay?! Never tried that before tempted by the Notty and Windsor. Have you tried that before then?

Yep, lots of brewers have. As Eric said, Windsor alone tends to underattenuate (finish high), but mixed with Nottingham or S05, performance is better and the strains are complimentary.  Works well.
Jon H.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Yeast Advice
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:58:34 am »
A lot of English strains are quick to finish and flocculate out which is why you see the recirculation of fermenting beer thru fish tails in Yorkshire Squares. On the Homebrew level you could stir the partially fermented beer or as suggested add an additional strain that isn't so quick to flocculate.

Then again, some English strains simply don't process some sugars. For example, Windsor and London ESB do not utilize the sugar maltotrios. In that case stirring probably won't do much. Adding an additional strain that processes all the sugars could help. It all depends on if you want the residual sweetness of a fuller finish or a dryer finish.

If you watch the video on the Samuel Smith's website you'll see the partially fermented beer being circulated thru fishtails to rouse and aerate the yeast. https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/

"The yeast culture known as Ringwood in the United States was originally sourced from a Yorkshire Brewery known as Webster's Brewery in Halifax, West Riding of Yorkshire, which is why all of the Peter Austin designed/Alan Pugsley-installed breweries use a fish tail to aerate beer on the second day.  Peter Austin acquired Ringwood from the Hull Brewery, in East Yorkshire, which acquired the culture from Webster's Brewery.  Timothy Taylor is also a Yorkshire Brewery.  Timothy Taylor is the source of Wyeast 1469." AHA forum member 'Saccharomyces'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:42:40 am by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 06:45:13 am »
A lot of English strains are quick to finish and flocculate out which is why you see the recirculation of fermenting beer thru fish tails in Yorkshire Squares. On the Homebrew level you could stir the partially fermented beer or as suggested add an additional strain that isn't so quick to flocculate.

Then again, some English strains simply don't process some sugars. For example London ESB does not utilize the sugar maltotrios. In that case stirring probably won't do much. Adding an additional strain that processes all the sugars could help.

If you watch the video on the Samuel Smith's website you'll see the partially fermented beer being circulated thru fishtails after the 2nd day in the square to rouse and aerate the yeast. https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/

Winsor is a strain that doesn't ferment maltotriose, thus the higher FG. A neutral, attenuative strain helps finish up the fermentation without changing the ester profile too much.

I've actually started doing this in my IPA's recently. I've only done this once or twice, but I suspect that Winsor does the biotransformation thing. It also helps the US-05 floc out a bit better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 06:55:04 am »
+1. I must have been editing while you were typing. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 07:13:22 am »
Don't use Windsor by itself.  Windsor plus Notty will work well.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.