Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops Glut?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Hops Glut?
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:51:16 pm »
Hop stocks are building, the demand is slowing, what will happen? Might be a tough time for brokers and farmers. Certain hops are still in demand.

http://www.capitalpress.com/Orchards/20170921/hop-stocks-continue-to-outrun-demand
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stoneclone

• 1st Kit
Re: Hops Glut?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:59:46 pm »
Buy, buy, buy! Brew, brew, brew! Support your hops growers !

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:04:53 pm »
Pretty interesting. For us in the short term, lots of good sales, I assume. Long term, looks like setting priorities on the part of growers and wholesalers for the best selling varieties, culling the lesser ones(?) So many varieties out there now, some good ones may not get grown any more if they aren't selling. Thanks for posting.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:16:05 pm »
That is interesting.

Remember the shortage? 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 04:21:34 pm »
Yes, that was a good article to see the trends occurring...I had heard about a year or two back that the Northern Brewer hop in steam beer was going by the wayside, as well, since it wasn't selling as prolifically and the plants don't put out as much volume on that strain.  The poor farmers are caught in the switches as trendy hops take so long to develop to production levels and by the time they are producing the new varieties, the fickle customers (both craft brewers and their patrons) are on to the next sensations being developed.

I have gone back to mostly lager brewing and use noble hops almost exclusively.  I hope they don't stop making them in Germany.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:09:51 pm »
That is interesting.

Remember the shortage?
Yes I do. The cycle goes back and forth.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 06:12:25 pm »
Yes, that was a good article to see the trends occurring...I had heard about a year or two back that the Northern Brewer hop in steam beer was going by the wayside, as well, since it wasn't selling as prolifically and the plants don't put out as much volume on that strain.  The poor farmers are caught in the switches as trendy hops take so long to develop to production levels and by the time they are producing the new varieties, the fickle customers (both craft brewers and their patrons) are on to the next sensations being developed.

I have gone back to mostly lager brewing and use noble hops almost exclusively.  I hope they don't stop making them in Germany.

In Yakima they say they can get 80% to full production the first year. Good soil, lots of sun, irrigation, and they really know what they are doing.

Everywhere else it takes a while.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 07:59:40 pm »
"I had heard about a year or two back that the Northern Brewer hop in steam beer was going by the wayside, as well, since it wasn't selling as prolifically and the plants don't put out as much volume on that strain."

I hope this doesn't happen: I love using N.B. in porters....
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 08:11:47 pm »
Majorvices, how about some IPA special editions?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 08:43:54 am »
It's kind of inevitable given the flattening of the craft beer trend. Breweries are cancelling hop contracts and stocks are building up in warehouses since the hop industry produced based on a growth trend that no longer exists.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 09:46:05 am »
I thought the big brewers had their own farms for the majority of their product use.

Edit: Was checking out the Smithsonians Beer Historian (Best job ever?) and she had posted this pic which kind of blew my mind. I can recognize some of the numbers in the article, seeing the scale is a whole different story.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:04:57 am by Wilbur »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 10:04:26 am »
I thought the big brewers had their own farms for the majority of their product use.

ABI does. Rogue grows some, but not all of theirs.   Don't know of any others, but I assume some do.  In general it's not real common.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 10:35:02 am »

ABI does. Rogue grows some, but not all of theirs.   Don't know of any others, but I assume some do.  In general it's not real common.
ABIs Elk Mountain farm is big at 1800 acres, and grows a fraction of what they use. It has been phasing over to Aroma varieties, the current trend.

Sierra Nevada has 9 acres, enough for the Harvest series.

Bell's has ~2 acres, and those are planted over the geothermal field, buildings couldn't go over that.

There are others, but the amount produced is small vs. use.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 10:59:58 am »
ABIs Elk Mountain farm is big at 1800 acres, and grows a fraction of what they use. It has been phasing over to Aroma varieties, the current trend.

Sierra Nevada has 9 acres, enough for the Harvest series.

Bell's has ~2 acres, and those are planted over the geothermal field, buildings couldn't go over that.

There are others, but the amount produced is small vs. use.

That's kind of like Rogue.  They produce just enough to say they grow and use their own hops.  But it's very limited.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 12:59:57 pm »
was wondering about this being inevitable not only due to flattening in the industry growth but with so many varieties that continue to pop up. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281