Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What does cream ale or cream of ale beer taste like? Is it sweet?  (Read 5413 times)

Offline watai0102

• 1st Kit
    • Shut off valve and Ball valve manufacturers from Vatacvalves.com
I was wondering if there was a beer that tastes like cream soda I heard there was. If so, is it cream of ale. Is cream ale or cream of ale good? If so what brand.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What does cream ale or cream of ale beer taste like? Is it sweet?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 05:53:16 am »
Cream Ale is more like an ale intended to taste like and compete with Budweiser.

From the BJCP description of Cream Ale: "A clean, well-attenuated, flavorful American “lawnmower” beer. Easily drinkable and refreshing, with more character than typical American lagers."

I don't know if there is a cream soda ale. I am sure somebody has tried that.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: What does cream ale or cream of ale beer taste like? Is it sweet?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 06:16:54 am »
Some people add vanilla to their cream ale, to turn it into more of a cream soda ale.  This has nothing to do with how the style was named, and everything to do with people either being confused or playing with a pun.  I've tasted some vanilla cream ales, some good, some bad.  You could try adding a small amount of Mexican vanilla extract (like 1 tablespoon in 5 gallons) or a couple of vanilla pods, split and seeded, at the end of primary fermentation for this effect.

Otherwise, cream ale really should not normally contain vanilla at all.  Adding vanilla turns the style into a "Spice / Herb / Vegetable" beer.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What does cream ale or cream of ale beer taste like? Is it sweet?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:42:16 am »
Henry Weinhard - maybe misspelled fyi - has a vanilla cream that I have made some cocktails out of since my wife hated it and I wanted to see it get gone.  They are usually sweet.  Not malty but sweet.  However, if your looking to make your own, don't forget you are the master of your own homebrew.  You can call your cream ale a Helles if you want to...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)