Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any relation between krausen character and beer head?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Any relation between krausen character and beer head?
« on: January 30, 2018, 09:54:45 pm »
is there any relation between the quality of the krausen on fermenting beer and the foam on the finished beer? Sometimes I see what I call creamy or gooey krausen and sometimes I see very delicate, lacy foam in the carboy. Is the character of the krausen any indicator of the character of the foam that will be seen in the glass when the beer is finished? So far I haven't seen any correlation.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline gdlbrewingco

• 1st Kit
Re: Any relation between krausen character and beer head?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:32:01 am »
is there any relation between the quality of the krausen on fermenting beer and the foam on the finished beer? Sometimes I see what I call creamy or gooey krausen and sometimes I see very delicate, lacy foam in the carboy. Is the character of the krausen any indicator of the character of the foam that will be seen in the glass when the beer is finished? So far I haven't seen any correlation.
I had a Stout with very little krausen foam and the finished beer had absolutely no head retention

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 06:34:28 am »
Krausen is mostly yeast so I'm not sure the quality of krausen will be indicative of the quality of head. Interesting question those.

I have heard speculation that anti-foam in the kettle and in the fermentor will help preserve thoise head forming components but can't say I have ever noticed a correlation there either.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:11:43 pm »
None that I know of.

I will occasionally have a problem with foam coming out the blowout tubes in the first few days of fermentation, but it's more related to the gravity of the brew than anything else. Higher gravity brews have more active fermentation, and are therefore more likely to have a problem with blowout.

I once had to drop the temp in my fermentation chamber to 48F to control the fermentation on an OG 1.085 Cascadian Dark Ale, but that was an extreme case.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 06:49:37 am »
Krausen is mostly yeast so I'm not sure the quality of krausen will be indicative of the quality of head. Interesting question those.

I have heard speculation that anti-foam in the kettle and in the fermentor will help preserve thoise head forming components but can't say I have ever noticed a correlation there either.
I've heard Jamil say, several times, that one foam is created those compounds in the foam won't be able to make foam again. I have my doubts about that, or there's tons of it in the beer and you'd have to turn the whole thing into a pile of foam to prove it.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 06:08:06 pm »
I've heard Jamil say, several times, that one foam is created those compounds in the foam won't be able to make foam again. I have my doubts about that, or there's tons of it in the beer and you'd have to turn the whole thing into a pile of foam to prove it.

That doesn't sound right. Foam in the boil kettle, or in the glass, happens when dextrans encapsulate released gasses. They also contribute to a slick mouth feel. Dextrans are not destroyed when they foam.

That's just my 0.02.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!