Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reiterated Mash Barley Wine  (Read 3059 times)

Offline crustybfv

• 1st Kit
Reiterated Mash Barley Wine
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:11:27 am »
Hi, looking for some feedback.  I've got a 1.050 base wort from my local brewery (all Maris Otter)
Planning on doing a reiterated mash with 5 lbs MO. 7.5 lbs wheat malt, and a lb of C-60. 
Hops: 1 oz CTZ at 60; 2 oz Mandarina at 15, 2 oz Mandarina at flameout, and 2 oz Mandarina dry hop at 7 days.
Think this will work out for an American BarleyWine?
This is grain, which any fool can use to make bread.  God, however, intended for it a higher purpose - Beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Reiterated Mash Barley Wine
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 08:25:20 am »
Hi, looking for some feedback.  I've got a 1.050 base wort from my local brewery (all Maris Otter)
Planning on doing a reiterated mash with 5 lbs MO. 7.5 lbs wheat malt, and a lb of C-60. 
Hops: 1 oz CTZ at 60; 2 oz Mandarina at 15, 2 oz Mandarina at flameout, and 2 oz Mandarina dry hop at 7 days.
Think this will work out for an American BarleyWine?

It will orke for a tasty beer that's somewhat in the mold of an Am BW.  With the wheat and Mandarine it won't be exact.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline crustybfv

• 1st Kit
Re: Reiterated Mash Barley Wine
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 08:57:28 am »
Thanks, Denny.  BarleyWine was as close as I could come to a particular style...but I won't be entering any competitions with this, other than my homebrew club's "make something with this wort share."
This is grain, which any fool can use to make bread.  God, however, intended for it a higher purpose - Beer!