Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's this going to be?  (Read 2196 times)

Offline kinanik

• 1st Kit
What's this going to be?
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:41:00 pm »
Greetings,

So, I'm not going to be able to have a brew day for quite a while, so I wanted to use what I had on hand. So, right now it's boiling. What I included:
5 Gal

¾ lb Black Patent Malt
2 lb Crystal Malt
6 LBS Light DME
5 lbs Dark LME
.5 LBS Corn Sugar
.5 Crystal Pellet Hops 3.1AA 60
1 Kent Golding Pellet 4.5 AA 60
.5 Fuggle 4.0 60
.5 Kent Goldings 30
1 KG 15
.5 Crystal 15
.5 Fuggle 10
.5 KG 8
.5 Cascade 5
While Labs English Ale w/.5 gal starter

What is this considered? A Porter? A stout? Once I'm done with it I'll report the OG. How long should I age it? I'm also thinking, once I have time to bottle it, of doing it with 1 C honey, for even more flavor.

Offline kinanik

• 1st Kit
Re: What's this going to be?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:31:11 am »
O.G. is sitting at 1.090. Barleywine? Should I use champagne yeast in a secondary fermenter, or will my Ale yeast live through the alcohol content?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:16:37 am »
If you want to classify it maybe like an Imperial Robust Porter?  Something along those lines.  I wouldn't bother to try to typecast that one into a specific category.

With all of that crystal and dark LME you're going to end up with a lot of unfermentables and a fairly high FG.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:58:17 am »
O.G. is sitting at 1.090. Barleywine? Should I use champagne yeast in a secondary fermenter, or will my Ale yeast live through the alcohol content?

I don't think you should use champagne yeast in secondary.  Your ale yeast should be fine.  Like was previously mentioned, the FG is likely to be a bit high anyway so I'd say that as far as your ale yeast takes you is how far it's gonna get.

If you are concerned that the yeast you have won't take it down, I'd recommend Wyeast 1728 scottish ale.  I like to use that on really big beers to take the FG down where other strains crap out.  Anything before champagne yeast as far as I'm concerned.

As far as what it is?  Kinanik's infamous creature?