Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash temp drop  (Read 6172 times)

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
Mash temp drop
« on: October 02, 2017, 12:31:14 pm »
My target mash temperature was 152 for my last 2 batches. Hit it right on for the first 10 minutes. At the 30 minute mark I'm down to 146. I'm using an 10 gallon igloo cooler, 5 gallon batches. Ive been adding2-4 quarts of 170 water to bring temp back up to 152. My question is it even needed? Is that an acceptable drop? Or should I be adding it even earlier to keep it right at 152 for the whole mash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning.”-Homer J Simpson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash temp drop
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:37:54 pm »
That does seem like quite a drop.  My rectangular cooler only loses maybe 1-2 F over the course of a 60-90 min. mash.  You may have too much headpsace which is causing the cooldown, but I have a lot of headspace in my cooler that doesn't seem to be a problem.  Have you tried something easy like putting a blanket or sl;eeping bag over the cooler?  I don't think the temp drop is too much of a problem, but it would be nice to figure out what's doing it and try to prevent it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
Mash temp drop
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 12:41:24 pm »
I'm brewing right now, seems like there is maybe 8" of head space. I'll try to wrap it next time. Last batch had same problem, missed projected OG by just a hair, so I wasnt to concerned.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:44:33 pm by GarretD »
“You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning.”-Homer J Simpson

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »
I'm brewing right now, seems like there is maybe 8" of head space. I'll try to wrap it next time. Last batch had same problem, missed projected OG by just a hair, so I wasnt to concerned.

If the beer turns out the way you want it to, you don't have a problem.  Easy solution!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:51:22 pm »
The drop to 146 F doesn't even matter in my experience.  I've brewed many dozens of batches that way and they come out just fine.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:51:53 pm »

If the beer turns out the way you want it to, you don't have a problem.  Easy solution!
[/quote]

Still new to all grain and figuring out what is crucial and what can slide. Also trying to improve my brewing and efficiency. Thanks for the help

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 01:10:45 pm »
The drop to 146 F doesn't even matter in my experience.  I've brewed many dozens of batches that way and they come out just fine.

In general I agree with ya. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 01:15:23 pm »
Garrett, my strike water temperature is often about 6 F hotter than the desired mash temperature to compensate for grains being much cooler than the mash temperature.  Are you using a strike water calculator to determine how hot your strike water (water for first infusion mash) should be?

I didn't use a strike water calculator for my first all-grain batches and my mash temp was off.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 01:16:11 pm »
SWAG - your mashtun is sucking the heat out. What is the temp a few minutes after you mash in?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 01:16:56 pm »
Garrett, my strike water temperature is often about 6 F hotter than the desired mash temperature to compensate for grains being much cooler than the mash temperature.  Are you using a strike water calculator to determine how hot your strike water (water for first infusion mash) should be?
He and I are on the same though track.

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 01:29:21 pm »
I preheated the mash turn, cooler, with some 170 water then dumped it. Used a strike water calculator and added 15q of 168 degree water. Temp was 154 right away and 152 after stirring. It held at 152 for about 10 minutes then started to drop.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 01:32:46 pm »
Is your thermometer reliable and calibrated? Pretty much any cooler shouldn't lose 6 degrees F in that space of time. Like Denny, I  lose maybe a couple dF max in a 60 minute cooler mash.
Jon H.

Offline gs650gtd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 02:25:31 pm »
Hi,I use a 52 litre rectangular cooler converted and loose less than 1°c over an hour.
As suggested in previous posts try a sleeping bag to insulate as it seems you may have an air leak on your lid as it does seem to be a progressive loss.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 07:04:27 am »
I was going to suggest preheating MT but someone mentioned that. Maybe try hotter preheat and place a piece of aluminum foil on top of the liquid and make sure lid is on good.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 09:51:16 am »
   How much water are you using to preheat your mash tun? I batch sparge and use my full volume of boiling sparge water to preheat my round cooler, my thermal loss is usually less than 2 degrees over an hour.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!