Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort waiting for yeast...  (Read 2550 times)

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
Wort waiting for yeast...
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:38:16 am »
Due to both time constraints and warm ground water I needed to transfer my wort into the fermenters at 100f.  I'm thinking it isn't a problem to let that sit in the house (fermenters covered) to get down to a better pitching temp., but I just wanted either confirmation or possible issues with this process.

Thanks
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wort waiting for yeast...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:40:50 am »
If your sanitation is good, it shouldn't be a problem, at least for a little while.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dr.g

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 11:32:31 am »
My wort actually sat in the fermenter for 2 full days without yeast two weeks ago and when I finally got back from the hospital to add the yeast everything took off as normal. Seems to me that everything is going ok. I'm going to transfer to secondary sometime Monday or Tuesday. So yours should be fine.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 11:37:33 am »
Due to my well water only able to get the wort down to about 72f on a good day, my regular practice is to put the wort in my converted fermenting chest freezer over night to get down to pitching temps. I have yet to have a problem.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 05:35:59 pm »
...and when I finally got back from the hospital to add the yeast everything took off as normal.

Now that is a dedicated brewer. Wort chill on standby while being trucked away on an ambulance... ;)
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 07:28:36 pm »
My wort actually sat in the fermenter for 2 full days without yeast two weeks ago and when I finally got back from the hospital to add the yeast everything took off as normal. Seems to me that everything is going ok. I'm going to transfer to secondary sometime Monday or Tuesday. So yours should be fine.
Hope you are doing well!
Brew on

Offline dr.g

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:06:48 am »
Yeah I'm doing good now. Got rushed to the hospital with extreme abdomen pains, turns out I have Crohns. Bummer, but Ill keep on living well.