Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cuvee in Mead?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline whatifitwasbees

• 1st Kit
Cuvee in Mead?
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:51:22 am »
Hello,

I'm on my first-ever batch of mead. I did a little research and started with a gallon carboy, 3£ of Honey, ~2/3 spring water,1 - .8 oz packet of Premier Cuvee yeast.

I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar. Specifically with Cuvee. What flavor can be expected? Over all aging time? Also end ABV%?

Also any advice for the future would be great. I started with a 1 gallon to minimize waste. I plan to go up to a 5 gallon after a successful batch.

Thanks in advance!
-Fancy meading you here

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Cuvee in Mead?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:40:27 am »
You can expect to ferment it down to 1.000 ish, in other words all the fermentable sugars will be converted and it will be dry. You may or may not like it like that.
Are you doing a staggered nutrient addition? Nutrients are especially helpful with a traditional mead.
As far as abv goes it depends on the original gravity. Did you take a reading? If not you can figure it out based on how much honey per gallon. From there use an online calculator.
Expect it to be dry with a honey character based on the honey used. It will still have mouthfeel though, even if dry because honey is like that.
As far as ageing time goes, after fermenting (about 2 weeks or so) rack into a carboy (gallon jug in your case), put on an airlock and keep at room temperature for a couple months. Then rack into a new jug, careful to leave behind sediment. You want to fill into the neck to minimize air contact. You may need to add sterilzed glass marbles to displace the same amount as the sediment left behind. Age in cellar for at least a few months, bottle, then cellar for months to years, whatever you can stand.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline whatifitwasbees

• 1st Kit
Re: Cuvee in Mead?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:28:01 am »
Awesome information. I have not done any nutrient for the first batch (probably an error). Also I was unable to take a hydro reading at start due to the one I ordered being broken, I'll have to check out that calculator. Thank you for all of the information though!
-Fancy meading you here