Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lactobacillus Sanitation  (Read 2318 times)

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
Lactobacillus Sanitation
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:39:16 am »
Does the same care of cross contamination need to be taken with Lacto that is taken with Brett strains?

I have an older batch of Lacto sitting in my fridge that I want to use up. Any recommendations for a starter? I've heard apple juice (not sure how much), higher starter temps 90-125 degrees, plain LDME...

Plan on either just pitching the lacto or possibly starting with the lacto and adding a witbier yeast after a few days. Still working on the recipe as I see what I have laying around.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Lactobacillus Sanitation
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:18:47 pm »
Anything funny needs extra care.

Whatever you do for a starter, make sure it's freshly boiled to eliminate oxygen
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:21:59 am »
Thanks. I take extra care with all sanitation, cleanliness is next to godliness. Too much time invested into an average batch to worry about risks of unwanted infections/nasties. I just wanted to ensure a seperate set of 'soft' (plastics, tubing, etc) wasn't required.

As for preventing oxygen exposure in the starter, that is counter intuitive to me, so great heads up! With Brett's and s cerv's need for oxygen, never would have guessed.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:43:44 am »
Tubing's cheap. So are buckets. I would have a "lacto" set just to be safe, if I were in your shoes.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline witsend

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 01:18:06 pm »
For what it's worth, I brewed a nearly 100% lacto Berliner Weisse in a plastic bucket.

I've used the bucket roughly 5 times since for non-lacto beers and haven't noticed any ill effects.

I figure, if I'm clean enough to get any stray critters out of my fermenter for a normal fermentation, I ought to be clean enough to get ALL of them out.

But, it never hurts to be cautious and have a "lacto" fermenter.  Mine's still labeled that way.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 01:25:46 pm »
Luckily, I have a brew-pot big enough to submerge a 7.9 gallon bucket in. I heat up the water above 170F and let that bucket soak for at least 30 minutes at those temps. Pretty much sterilizes the poor thing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis