Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to check mash pH  (Read 20293 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
When to check mash pH
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 01:50:36 pm »
I plug my grain bill into a calculator. In other words, I don't physically Ck the mash for pH. I go with the calculation. Close enough. Once closed, I don't open the mash/lauter tun until I drain it. I break up brew day into short blocks of time so that could be hours later. (I prep early -sometimes the night before, I mash in and close up the tun in the AM until I get the time to boil later in the day.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:57:34 pm by BrewBama »

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Re: When to check mash pH
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 05:40:37 pm »
Definitely don't check mash pH in the first 10 minutes. Those reactions take a little while to occur. The pH will change during the course of a mash. It is the final pH that's most important.

It's also really important that the brewer mix all the minerals and acids into the water before adding the grain. It's really hard to mix all that stuff together evenly otherwise.

Given the prevalence of mediocre beer from various brewpubs, it should be no surprise that many brewers don't adjust their water. Don't be one of those brewers.
Thanks Martin.  I was curious myself after my last kölsch where the mash PH 15min in was 5.17 and 5.3 at 60min.  I recall you/or someone else mentioning the PH will creep toward 5.4 toward end of mash...correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 04:13:51 pm »
Definitely don't check mash pH in the first 10 minutes. Those reactions take a little while to occur. The pH will change during the course of a mash. It is the final pH that's most important.

It's also really important that the brewer mix all the minerals and acids into the water before adding the grain. It's really hard to mix all that stuff together evenly otherwise.

Given the prevalence of mediocre beer from various brewpubs, it should be no surprise that many brewers don't adjust their water. Don't be one of those brewers.
Thanks Martin.  I was curious myself after my last kölsch where the mash PH 15min in was 5.17 and 5.3 at 60min.  I recall you/or someone else mentioning the PH will creep toward 5.4 toward end of mash...correct me if I'm wrong.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I remember hearing Martin say that as well, to the extent that either high or low the mash ph will drive to regulate itself towards 5.4

I have been checking twice just out of my own curiosity and just like the other night I had a mash ph at 10 mins or so that was around 5.3, half way through the mash it was still there. I do not do a lot of water adjustments other than using lactic acid, I wonder if it takes longer for the mash to change/stabilize when there are added salts or adjustments being made with the mash.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:19:14 pm by PORTERHAUS »

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »
Interesting.  Using ColorpHast strips I don't always check pH at the end of the mash but always 12 - 15 minutes into the mash.  When I do check pH at the end of the mash usually it's very close to the same reading I got the first time I checked it.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 09:15:42 pm »

Martin, do you acidify your sparge water?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 12:35:20 pm »

Sparging water acidification is performed in order to reduce its alkalinity. I use RO water and it already has low alkalinity, so I don't need to acidify that sparging water. If I was using my high alkalinity tap water, I certainly would acidify. Its very helpful for beer quality to neutralize sparging water alkalinity to under 50 ppm as CaCO3. It's even better to knock that down to under 25 ppm.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 01:27:17 pm »

Sparging water acidification is performed in order to reduce its alkalinity. I use RO water and it already has low alkalinity, so I don't need to acidify that sparging water. If I was using my high alkalinity tap water, I certainly would acidify. Its very helpful for beer quality to neutralize sparging water alkalinity to under 50 ppm as CaCO3. It's even better to knock that down to under 25 ppm.
Great to kmow. I too use RO water and have not adjusted pH for sparge water.
I read a recipe that said to sparge with a pH of 6. I was under the assumption that reducing the pH of sparge water helped keep the boil pH I'm the range needed per the recipe.

Thanks.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 07:58:50 am »

by reducing the alkalinity are you in turn reducing the buffering capacity?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 10:38:13 am »

That is correct. Alkalinity is another name for the activity of the carbonate buffer system in water. High alkalinity is evidence that there is a lot of carbonate species in the water. The species present in water is dependent upon the water's pH.

PS: Alkalinity is not the same as pH.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 11:00:57 am »

That is correct. Alkalinity is another name for the activity of the carbonate buffer system in water. High alkalinity is evidence that there is a lot of carbonate species in the water. The species present in water is dependent upon the water's pH.

Yes sir, I understand.
Acid reduces the buffering capacity so that the sparge water will not affect the ph of the mash.
RO already has decreased or no buffering capacity due to stripping of the minerals.

Lets say I want a target pre boil pH.
If adjusting the pH of the sparge is not ideal. How would I go about bringing the pH of the pre boil wory into my desired range? Is there a calculator you can reccomend.
I understand that once i added the salts and grain to the mash water I effectively increased the buffering capacity of the wort.

I'm probably overthinking this.
I really appreciate your time Martin, thank you.

Curtis.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 12:30:50 pm »

Yes sir, I understand.
Acid reduces the buffering capacity so that the sparge water will not affect the ph of the mash.
RO already has decreased or no buffering capacity due to stripping of the minerals.

If adjusting the pH of the sparge is not ideal. How would I go about bringing the pH of the pre boil wory into my desired range? Is there a calculator you can reccomend.
I understand that once i added the salts and grain to the mash water I effectively increased the buffering capacity of the wort.

Curtis.

I'm pretty sure Martin would recommend this.....https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 12:40:20 pm »

Yes sir, I understand.

Curtis.

I'm pretty sure Martin would recommend this.....https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/
Yes sir, i do use that program but at the moment I dont have excel access.
Ive read through the instruction but dont recall anything about calculating how much acid per gallon to adjust pH.

Thanks Denny.

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 04:31:22 pm »
Agreed with dmtaylor. I've always heard 10 minutes is a good amount of time.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk