Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Heat Shocking Yeast to Increase Glycerol  (Read 4195 times)

Offline couchsending

• 1st Kit
Heat Shocking Yeast to Increase Glycerol
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:44:13 pm »
Has anyone ever tried this or done much reading on it.  I've read some of the paperwork on it and it seems interesting although most of the info I've read focuses on wine and sake where Glycerol in a bigger factor.

It's been a little while since I read much on it but I believe the best results were achieved somewhere with temps in the 100-117 range for 10 minutes.  One paper I read had some lab results that showed with a Sacch C strain a 33% increase in glycerol production with a loss in ethanol production of only 5.7% with a 10 minute exposure of yeast at 45c.  The strain wasn't listed but I believe it was a wine strain.

I've recently started doing little split batches in 3 gallon Carboys and was thinking about trying it out.   Was just going to use S-04 rehydrated in one and then make a starter for the other and heat shock it for 10 minutes.  Sounds like heat shock can reduce the cell count by close to 30% so i'm thinking if I make the correct size starter I can still end up with the correct amount of yeast.  I don't have a microscope so it'll be a best guess..

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Heat Shocking Yeast to Increase Glycerol
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 02:15:39 pm »
If you’re going to experiment, be sure to try kveik yeast

The Beerery

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 02:22:27 pm »
Yeast under pressure produces glycerol as well. Spunding being the most. What re you looking to gain? Foam or body?

Offline couchsending

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 03:45:55 pm »
body mostly

The Beerery

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:12:28 am »
body mostly

There are so many other ways to create body for beer brewers, that this is not really a method.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:41:48 am »
body mostly

There are so many other ways to create body for beer brewers, that this is not really a method.

I've also read in some winemaking articles recently that glycerol may not add to body as much as once thought.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

The Beerery

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 09:47:41 am »
body mostly

I've also read in some winemaking articles recently that glycerol may not add to body as much as once thought.

Easy way to test is to go buy some in the wine section and add it to beer and see!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 10:17:17 am »
3711 produces a lot of glycerol for a brewing yeast. Beers made with it definitely have more body than similar beers brewed with other saison yeast. They aren't thick by any means but the difference is noticeable in a dry beer. Unless you're making saison or another dry style I'd think other options to build body would be easier and preferable. Mash temperature, grain bill, water profile, yeast choice. All ways to affect body.

It is an interesting experiment. If you're doing it for experimentation's sake then good luck and please update with the results.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline couchsending

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:27 am »
The mention of glycerol production by 3711 is what lead me down this rabbit hole.