Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Soy sauce stout  (Read 5866 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Soy sauce stout
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 10:55:59 am »
Soy sauce and kibble are big beer (High OG) oxidation flavors, homies.

I ran oxygen for about 30 seconds.
I am new to pure oxygen, typically I used to shake the carboy. I have also been nervous about using oxygen because I didn't want to eff up a beer, but I used the same amount of oxygen on a 10% wee heavy and the beer taste fine.

Typically how long should I oxygenate for if you think oxygen is part of the issue, I've read 30-60 seconds and plan to stick to thwith lower side of the timeline when I brew.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 11:29:46 am »
Soy Sauce flavor could be Autolysis.  Just because your house stays at those temps doesn't mean it's fermenting at those temps.  Fermentation creates heat.  Your dry yeast could have been a little on the old side too.

^^  This
  But at 13 days from pitch to rack?  Seems a bit quick to be autolysis... any number of issues may be combining here...

Agreed on both
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 03:39:58 pm »

I am new to pure oxygen, typically I used to shake the carboy. I have also been nervous about using oxygen because I didn't want to eff up a beer, but I used the same amount of oxygen on a 10% wee heavy and the beer taste fine.

Typically how long should I oxygenate for if you think oxygen is part of the issue, I've read 30-60 seconds and plan to stick to thwith lower side of the timeline when I brew.

He's talking oxidation, not oxygenation.  60 seconds of oxygen pre-fermentation (oxygenation) is fine.  Exposure to oxygen post-fermentation (oxidation) can stale your beer or cause off flavors.

IME, it would be pretty hard for the beer to get badly oxidized in the primary fermenter.  How much splashing was there when you transferred to secondary?  You could oxidize there, but I don't know how quickly that would change the flavor to soy sauce.  I've seen oxidation change a beer's color pretty quickly, though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 08:03:25 am »
I've only experienced those soy sauce flavours in older beer s that were not stored well only once or twice with home brew and probably 1/2 a dozen times at the liquor store ( I live in a small town in Northern British Columbia and unpasteurized beers sometimes don't survive the long journey and the fluorescent lights)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 08:11:24 am »
Way too heavy on dark malts though;think of it as a making coffee too strong, it's the acidity that ruins the flavour  I have become a fan of cold extracting part or all of my black malts in cold water the day prior to brew day and adding the liquid to the boil

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 01:36:06 pm »
I've only experienced those soy sauce flavours in older beer s that were not stored well only once or twice with home brew and probably 1/2 a dozen times at the liquor store ( I live in a small town in Northern British Columbia and unpasteurized beers sometimes don't survive the long journey and the fluorescent lights)

Way too heavy on dark malts though;think of it as a making coffee too strong, it's the acidity that ruins the flavour  I have become a fan of cold extracting part or all of my black malts in cold water the day prior to brew day and adding the liquid to the boil

He's talking oxidation, not oxygenation.  60 seconds of oxygen pre-fermentation (oxygenation) is fine.  Exposure to oxygen post-fermentation (oxidation) can stale your beer or cause off flavors.

IME, it would be pretty hard for the beer to get badly oxidized in the primary fermenter.  How much splashing was there when you transferred to secondary?  You could oxidize there, but I don't know how quickly that would change the flavor to soy sauce.  I've seen oxidation change a beer's color pretty quickly, though.

I do not think it’s oxedized. Was just saying I pumped in oxygen. I do not get much splashing, long tube on auto siphon.
Good point on the coffee part, and cold mashing I suppose. In the past I have pitched cold brew I made and the milk coffee stout was fine. Never tried chocolate malts in a stout like this before.

Is their any chance this will go away, or can I doctor this batch?

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 09:21:01 am »
I agree with everyone that you used way too much dark malt. 1 lb chocolate malt and 4 oz black malt would be plenty of dark malt. Black malt is very intense and 1 lb of it on top of 2 lbs of chocolate malt would make for a very acidic mash, as Denny said. Also, consider that fermentation temperature will almost always be 4-8 degrees warmer than ambient temperature. In my experience, 4 degrees for lagers and 6 degrees for ales is pretty typical. Your fermometer wasn't lying to you.

My advice for next time: try out a recipe calculating site like brewtoad to help you at the planning stage. I also recommend using published recipes for inspiration. The AHA site has plenty of great recipes to check out.

My advice for this batch: give it a few more days or a week and see how it is. Don't try to doctor it; that has never been effective at managing off flavors, IME.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 11:29:37 am »
I agree with everyone that you used way too much dark malt. 1 lb chocolate malt and 4 oz black malt would be plenty of dark malt. Black malt is very intense and 1 lb of it on top of 2 lbs of chocolate malt would make for a very acidic mash, as Denny said. Also, consider that fermentation temperature will almost always be 4-8 degrees warmer than ambient temperature. In my experience, 4 degrees for lagers and 6 degrees for ales is pretty typical. Your fermometer wasn't lying to you.

My advice for next time: try out a recipe calculating site like brewtoad to help you at the planning stage. I also recommend using published recipes for inspiration. The AHA site has plenty of great recipes to check out.

My advice for this batch: give it a few more days or a week and see how it is. Don't try to doctor it; that has never been effective at managing off flavors, IME.

Too much dark malt is where my head is right now too. Not on the yeast at all as some suggested. My house fluctuates in temp because it’s starting to get cold. I do not think this fermentation was ever really too high in temp, at least, not for more than half of the fermentation.

I do use a beer calculator, BeerSmith, but never remember seeing anything about this batches ph. I also look for recipes on the aha and tweak them.

This beer has been in secondary for 4 full days now.

I think I might keg this weekend and see what happens.

Many people were talking about the turn around time on this beer, but, it will still get me drunk and if it’s undrinkable, a valuable lesson will be learned. I was not the most patient with this fermentation, but like I said, it took off like a rocket ship and has been sitting in the mid 60s since it stopped.