Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 3522 questions  (Read 8875 times)

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
Re: Wyeast 3522 questions
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 05:33:17 pm »
Checked many years of notes on 3787. As I mentioned before, it produces a mild, pleasant spice note for me that isn't clove.  It also produces a mild plum ester when fermented at 68F and finished at 72F.  Colder fermentation produces less of both.  Hotter fermentation produces a bad banana vodka beer that I drain poured after a few months of waiting for it to smooth out. 

These observations are subject to variable pitch rates, nutrient supplements and O2 injections.  Your mileage may vary.  This statement is not a binding agreement in the state of California.  Kutaka is not responsible for crap beer made using this anecdote.           

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 09:56:57 am »
I rarely ferment it that cold.  I start it at 68 and finish at 72+.  This produces a Belgian (or British) yeasty aroma that isn't fruity or spicy.  It produces esters, but they are below what I can sense.   

If you like it, go for it.  I've found I prefer it lower.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 03:56:09 pm »

If you like it, go for it.  I've found I prefer it lower.

Digging further into my notes on 3787, it appears a very clean result IS possible with a big pitch and a stable low 60s fermentation.  Presumably that is what you do. 

Why bother using 3787 to make a Belgian beer if the result is no significant phenols or esters?  Every time I've drunk a Westmalle, clean yeast was not a descriptor that came to mind.