Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick souring with L. plantarum - fermentation with krausen occurring  (Read 3398 times)

Offline ASLO

• 1st Kit
I'm attempting my first quick sour with mango goodbelly (i.e., L. plantarum) and the wort appears to be fermenting (i.e., airlock activity and thin krausen). From what I've read about this strain and process, I don't think this is normal and was wondering if anyone has had this experience and if they knew the cause. Maybe infection with yeast? I'm planning to take a gravity reading after work today.

Here's a quick recap of my process:
-8lbs LME, no hops - SG 1.060
-boiled for 20 minutes, cooled to ~100F
-transferred 5 gal wort to sanitized bucket, shook goodbelly container and dumped 1/2 the container into the wort (16 Fl oz)
-adjusted pH to ~4.7 with 88% lactic acid, snapped on the top with airlock, no temp control
- pH dropped to about 3.8 after 36 hours, no sign of fermentation, just cloudy wort.
- I was hoping for a little more acidity so I dumped the rest of the goodbelly, and applied heat, held at ~85F.
- 24 hours after second pitch of goodbelly signs of fermentation started, pH still at 3.8

Thoughts? thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:37:50 am by ASLO »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Quick souring with L. plantarum - fermentation with krausen occurring
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:16:59 am »
If anything there would be a whispy white pellicle. You likely picked up some yeast somewhere along the way.

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:18:57 am »
I'm attempting my first quick sour with mango goodbelly (i.e., L. plantarum) and the wort appears to be fermenting (i.e., airlock activity and thin krausen). From what I've read about this strain and process, I don't think this is normal and was wondering if anyone has had this experience and if they knew the cause. Maybe infection with yeast? I'm planning to take a gravity reading after work today.

Here's a quick recap of my process:
-8lbs LME, no hops - SG 1.060
-boiled for 20 minutes, cooled to ~100F
-transferred 5 gal wort to sanitized bucket, shook goodbelly container and dumped 1/2 the container into the wort (16 Fl oz)
-adjusted pH to ~4.7 with 88% lactic acid, snapped on the top with airlock, no temp control
- pH dropped to about 3.8 after 36 hours, no sign of fermentation, just cloudy wort.
- I was hoping for a little more acidity so I dumped the rest of the goodbelly, and applied heat, held at ~85F.
- 24 hours after second pitch of goodbelly signs of fermentation started, pH still at 3.8

Thoughts? thanks in advance.
What makes you think it's fermenting?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"The waiting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

Offline ASLO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:30:29 am »

[/quote]What makes you think it's fermenting?

airlock activity and krausen

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:43:34 am »
Usually you leave the wort in the kettle to sour without an airlock. The change in temperature from reheating changes the pressure in a sealed bucket and that may be what your seeing. As far as kraussen I'm not sure. Might have picked up some wild yeast from transferring but i doubt it. May be all your going to get. I'd proceed with your boil which will kill everything anyway

"The waiting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

Offline ASLO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:56:17 am »
Usually you leave the wort in the kettle to sour without an airlock. The change in temperature from reheating changes the pressure in a sealed bucket and that may be what your seeing. As far as kraussen I'm not sure. Might have picked up some wild yeast from transferring but i doubt it. May be all your going to get. I'd proceed with your boil which will kill everything anyway

This is pretty vigorous bubbling, almost continuous, so I don't think it could be due to pressure change. I'll take a gravity reading tonight and reassess.  thanks for the replies!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:57:56 am by ASLO »

Offline ASLO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 09:21:07 pm »
So I looked around and read that the L. plantarum in goodbelly can produce lots of CO2 and fizz pretty vigorously in wort, which is what I think I have happening. Krausen is gone, now just bubbling and fizzing away. Gravity has dropped from 1.060 to 1.055. I think I'll let it keep going just to see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:35:47 pm by ASLO »