Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Draft without Carbonation  (Read 2468 times)

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Draft without Carbonation
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:06:02 pm »
Is it possible to put something on tap and maintain no carbonation?  I am thinking something like a bladder in a corney keg separating the fluid from the gas.  I have seen wine on tap in brew supply shops but have never paid too much attention to the flow rate or level of sparkle.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Draft without Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:21:49 pm »
Search for BEER ENGINES. And search CAMRA. All i got for you.... good luck.
I suppose you could force beer into a reverse osmosis holding tank with no carbonation, first two options are probably better though.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »
Another option would be pushing with pure nitrogen. Nitrogen won't dissolve in beer and is used by some bars to serve draft wine (some also use argon). Note - this is not the beer gas "nitro" mix you use for guiness cause that still has CO2 in it. (30%, 40%?)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:15:35 pm »
Another option would be pushing with pure nitrogen. Nitrogen won't dissolve in beer and is used by some bars to serve draft wine (some also use argon). Note - this is not the beer gas "nitro" mix you use for guiness cause that still has CO2 in it. (30%, 40%?)

Good info...didn't even realize N2's solubility was so low until now.  Or even helium maybe?   Probably not food grade I'd guess.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 09:56:06 pm »

Good info...didn't even realize N2's solubility was so low until now.  Or even helium maybe?   Probably not food grade I'd guess.

That'd be awesome. A party full of drunk people sounding like munchkins from the wizard of oz!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:20:10 am »

That'd be awesome. A party full of drunk people sounding like munchkins from the wizard of oz!

Solubility of N2O is pretty good....