Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chestnut beer question  (Read 2844 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
Chestnut beer question
« on: October 08, 2017, 04:13:20 pm »
Hey people, I'm thinking of doing a chestnut stout, but have never used it. Just wondering what experience people have with it? Do you add to mash or boil? Do you smash them or leave them whole? Roasted? Do they add any body?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Chestnut beer question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 05:12:51 pm »
I haven't done a nut beer, but here's what I would think:

1) Roast them well
2) Cool, then grind into flour in a food processor
3) Add to your mash

I imagine you'd need quite a lot of them to be able to taste.  I'd start with at least 5% of the grist by weight, e.g., about a half pound for 5 gallons.  Might need even more, I dunno.

Hopefully the oils in the nuts don't hurt your head retention.  A bit of rye should help with that though, and in the same amount -- about 5% or half pound in 5 gallons.  Rye is magical like that.  It works even better than oats or wheat.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:03:01 pm »
I haven't done a nut beer, but here's what I would think:

1) Roast them well
2) Cool, then grind into flour in a food processor
3) Add to your mash

I imagine you'd need quite a lot of them to be able to taste.  I'd start with at least 5% of the grist by weight, e.g., about a half pound for 5 gallons.  Might need even more, I dunno.

Hopefully the oils in the nuts don't hurt your head retention.  A bit of rye should help with that though, and in the same amount -- about 5% or half pound in 5 gallons.  Rye is magical like that.  It works even better than oats or wheat.
I currently have over 6lbs of them so I have no problem going higher than a half pound. Also, I've never cared much about head retention, as long as everything else is good. What I'm really hoping is that the nuts will provide a thick, full mouthfeel. I figure they'll add a nice nuttiness too.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:05 am »
I've never tasted a chestnut beer that I've wanted to duplicate but best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk