Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash temp drop  (Read 6164 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash temp drop
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 09:56:59 am »
I used to preheat my mash tun until I realized it was another step I could avoid and save time and effort.  I just figured out how much hotter my strike water had to be to hit mash temp without preheating.  I've done that for many years and hundreds of batches now, and al;ways hit my strike temp right on.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 10:27:18 am »
I used to preheat my mash tun until I realized it was another step I could avoid and save time and effort.  I just figured out how much hotter my strike water had to be to hit mash temp without preheating.  I've done that for many years and hundreds of batches now, and al;ways hit my strike temp right on.

Same here, Denny. If I bring my cooler in from the garage a day or two before brewing to equalize with house temps, I get a pretty reliable strike temp differential from whatever the target is. Lots of ways to get there though
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 10:34:59 am »

Same here, Denny. If I bring my cooler in from the garage a day or two before brewing to equalize with house temps, I get a pretty reliable strike temp differential from whatever the target is. Lots of ways to get there though

I leave mine in the garage all the time, knowing that if I heat to 12-14F above my mash temp I'll be right on.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 10:47:17 am »
Do you measure the temperature of your grain before you start? It makes a difference.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 10:31:36 am »
Maybe the opening of the mash tun multiple times/for an extended period of time may have more to do with the temperature drop than the vessel, itself?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 12:32:44 pm »
Maybe the opening of the mash tun multiple times/for an extended period of time may have more to do with the temperature drop than the vessel, itself?

This^^^^?

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 01:47:34 pm »
My target mash temperature was 152 for my last 2 batches. Hit it right on for the first 10 minutes. At the 30 minute mark I'm down to 146. I'm using an 10 gallon igloo cooler, 5 gallon batches. Ive been adding2-4 quarts of 170 water to bring temp back up to 152. My question is it even needed? Is that an acceptable drop? Or should I be adding it even earlier to keep it right at 152 for the whole mash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On some coolers, sometimes water/wort can seep into the cooler's insulation space via a poor seal at the valve and cause ineffective insulating.  Pull the valve and check for liquid in the insulation space.

Also the cheaper orange Igloo coolers are not insulated as well as the spendy yellow ones.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 04:29:43 pm »
Yeah that's quitea drop. I'd be looking for cracks/openings on your mash tun. I used a rectangular cooler for a while and it held temp great.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk