Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bud hops  (Read 8251 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
bud hops
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:01:41 pm »
What hops does Budweiser use?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: bud hops
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:12:07 pm »
I was going to guess "maybe Cascade", but then I did find these:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/1ycvv3/what_hops_yeast_stains_are_used_in_commercial/

"When I was on the Bud brewery tour I asked what kind of hops they use in Budweiser, the person giving the tour said Saaz."

https://realbeer.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/budweiser-the-king-of-beers/

"Adolphus Busch in 1876 was... trying to make a high quality beer (as proved by Budweiser’s use of expensive Saaz hops)"

The real answer though in the 21st century is probably closer to "isomerized hop extract", from who-cares-what hop.  Whatever's cheapest.  I would think that's the reality.  Then, if given the choice of which iso extract they use, if they are all equally inexpensive, then *maybe* it's Saaz.  Maybe.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

The Beerery

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 03:21:27 pm »
Actually, I think they blend something like 27 varieties, so get a homogeneous product that doesn't change batch to batch. They have huge hop farms.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:26:33 pm »
Actually, I think they blend something like 27 varieties, so get a homogeneous product that doesn't change batch to batch. They have huge hop farms.

Yeah, that's consistent with my thinking.  The Saaz thing might in fact apply to the original recipe only, from 1876.  The year now is, well, much later than that.  Times change.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:29:46 pm »
I have read it is more like 12 varaieties. That changes with time, they used to buy a bunch of Willamette, but stopped around 2008/2009.

The Elk Mountain hop farm in Idaho is big, around 1800 acres. What I have read recently is that much of that has gone to American aroma varieties for the captive excraft breweries.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jim atlas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 07:40:49 pm »
AB used to use a lot of willamette and cascade.  Then went to oil with the whole inbev thing. 
But I was told by a grower in OR (circa 2014) that they are getting back into whole leaf.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:41 am »
I asked a Budweiser brewer that question once, back in the 1990s, and he told me they used 11 varieties.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:59:05 pm »
Best thing I've seen in a while...

"captive excraft breweries"
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 10:44:09 am »
I was told that they wave a ho cone in front of the kettle and if the shadow of the hop falls on it, that's enough
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 11:37:12 am »
I was told that they wave a ho cone in front of the kettle and if the shadow of the hop falls on it, that's enough

I'm working on a "double" version of a bud type beer for a piece I'm working on for Zymurgy. I went ahead and just used a blend of liberty and hersbrucker to 30 IBUs.

Does the ho pimp know what the ho cone is doing?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women