Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Celebration  (Read 2525 times)

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Sierra Nevada Celebration
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
I racked mine into the secondary onto the dry hops last night. Gravity 1.012. It did not taste nearly as hoppy as I expected but hopefully the dry hops will help with that.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline joelv

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 01:43:45 AM »
I just dry hopped my take on this.

I used pale 2 row and 1.5 of Simpsons Medium Crystal.

Color (although still hazy due to young age) seems really close. The English crystal seems less caramel and a bit more biscuity. It reminds me of the SNCA flavor. Hops seem too subdued to me, maybe the dry hop will push this forward, but I might have to add more in the whirlpool on a future version.  So far, pretty happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 02:49:52 AM »
Last year when I brewed this, we did a triangle test and mine was also lacking in hops sharpness.  I am using homegrown hops throughout though.  Which water profile are you guys using?  I'm considering amping up the sulfate level on this weekend's batch.  I shoot for about half of the Bru'nWater "pale ale" profile. 

Offline mabrungard

• Brewmaster General
  • Water matters!
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
I shoot for about half of the Bru'nWater "pale ale" profile.

You mean you were using water with less than 150 ppm sulfate to brew an IPA? I'm not surprised the beer was lacking.

I experimented with lower sulfate content in a pale ale a few years ago and used 100 ppm sulfate. The beer was fine, but it lingered too long on the palate and it certainly had muted hop character. From that experience, I can assure anyone that 150 ppm sulfate would be the lowest I'd ever consider in a pale ale or IPA. But for the best flavor and character (to me), I still use the full 300 ppm sulfate as noted in the Pale Ale profile in Bru'n Water.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
I think I am at about 150 ppm sulfate. I never considered going all the way up to 300 though  :o

On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 12:58:51 AM »
I shoot for about half of the Bru'nWater "pale ale" profile.

You mean you were using water with less than 150 ppm sulfate to brew an IPA? I'm not surprised the beer was lacking.

I experimented with lower sulfate content in a pale ale a few years ago and used 100 ppm sulfate. The beer was fine, but it lingered too long on the palate and it certainly had muted hop character. From that experience, I can assure anyone that 150 ppm sulfate would be the lowest I'd ever consider in a pale ale or IPA. But for the best flavor and character (to me), I still use the full 300 ppm sulfate as noted in the Pale Ale profile in Bru'n Water.

On my last three batches of IPA, I've been toggling between going for the full 300 ppm sulfate, and half those targets (about 150 ppm sulfate).  I think I prefer something closer to the full 300 ppm, but the beer starts out very sharp and needs to mellow in the keg just a touch.  The 150 ppm level is more of an approachable IPA for those who aren't mega hop heads or bitterness lovers.

Offline jverduin

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 12:10:24 AM »
This image is to assist with color questions in the recipe. I used Simpson's Medium Crystal at 1.5 lbs. in a 5 gallon (in the keg) batch along with only pale 2-row (Rahr). Color appears pretty close, but there is some more haze in the homebrew version on the right.

Taste of the malt alone is decently close (in my opinion). The crystal is rated at somewhere above 60 lovibond.

- I am not convinced I can use an image from Google Drive... so may have to try again.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2017, 12:18:54 AM »
This image is to assist with color questions in the recipe. I used Simpson's Medium Crystal at 1.5 lbs. in a 5 gallon (in the keg) batch along with only pale 2-row (Rahr). Color appears pretty close, but there is some more haze in the homebrew version on the right.

Taste of the malt alone is decently close (in my opinion). The crystal is rated at somewhere above 60 lovibond.

- I am not convinced I can use an image from Google Drive... so may have to try again.

Yep, no image showed up.  Image function is kind of a PITA on this board.  You have to have a third party image-hosting site like photobucket (maybe not the best option these days).  You can direct link to an online image though.  Kind of clunky.  I would share a lot more images if it was easier to do so.

Offline jverduin

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »
Let's try this again...

Left - SNCA Commercial
Right - Homebrewed Version

1.5 lbs Simpson's Medium Crystal in a 5 gallon batch with only 2-row pale malt (Rahr)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2017, 01:21:12 AM »
SNV Fresh hop 12 pack was awesome. It contained Celebration ale, Fresh hop IPA, Fresh hop DIPA and a Fresh hop session.
Packaged on 10/20.
Sorry no Celebration ale pics.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 06:11:53 PM »
Good to hear you found some fresh SN. The only issue I have with them here in Cincinnati is how dated their product is usually on the shelves.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
SNV Fresh hop 12 pack was awesome... It contained Celebration ale, Fresh hop IPA, Fresh hop DIPA and a Fresh hop session.

Whoa - I haven't seen that one yet.  Might have to track some down!  I skipped a different sampler because I didn't want to try their Holiday Spiced ale. 

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 10:46:07 PM »
SNV Fresh hop 12 pack was awesome... It contained Celebration ale, Fresh hop IPA, Fresh hop DIPA and a Fresh hop session.

Whoa - I haven't seen that one yet.  Might have to track some down!  I skipped a different sampler because I didn't want to try their Holiday Spiced ale.
They came in two different sampler packs one had the Celebration Ale and the other had a wet hop IPL

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »
Mine was kegged and carbonated by Thanksgiving. The color is similar, the taste ended up drier (FG was lower) and perhaps as a result, the bitterness seems a bit sharper than Sierra Nevada's. Still a very good, drinkable IPA.