Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch overflow  (Read 1489 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Batch overflow
« on: August 02, 2010, 06:43:03 am »
So I was brewing a Witbier yesterday, and i had a pretty good boil going.  I go to add the hops and immediately upon addition of the first package, the wort just got violent and overflowed out of my brewpot.  (Had about 4in space between the top of my pot and the wort, was boiling about 2 gallons).  Long story short, I moved the pot to another burner (electric stove), and tried to salvage the batch.  I lost some wort with some hops, but the rest of the boil went normal.  I checked my gravity and it was about where it should be for OG.  (1.04).

I pitched my yeast after everything cooled off, but no activity in my airlock.  I know airlock activity isn't necessarily indicitive of whats going on, but has me a liitle worried. 

So think it will be a salvageable batch? 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Batch overflow
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:48:09 am »
If your gravity is there you should be fine. But, as an aside, I notice a lot of people boil the living hell out of their wort. This really isn't necessary. As long as the wort is turning over you should be good. If you are boiling so hard that you get an overflow when you add the hops this is a sure sign that the you need to crank back on the burner some.

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:02:37 am »
+1

One of my first brews boiled over BAD, though I lost a bit of volume, the beer was still great. I cranked my burner down, keep a closer eye during additions and until the hot break hits, and no problems since. Enjoy your brew...
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:09:02 pm »
Next time I will avoid the "vigorous boil." Thank you!

As an aside, and a note... it always helps to make sure the lid is securely on the fermenting bucket!  I wasn't seeing any activity so I gave in and checked the bucket.  Found the lid wasn't tightly on in all places.  Opened it up and saw visible signs of fermentation.  Closed everything tight, and the airlock started immediately.  I am a happy brewer and can't wait for this batch to finish.

Time to start getting another batch together in the meantime. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:52:17 pm »
Especially with concentrated boils, should one observe for boil-overs... (best Yoda voice).

True, true, true but always able to kill the sumb**** at the right moment with something like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/fermcap-s-1-oz.html and go watch TV for a few minutes...

Works!!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis