Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann Riptide, bummed  (Read 5580 times)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
Blichmann Riptide, bummed
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:02:46 am »
Hey all,

In August I purchased a blichmann riptide pump for my homebrews. Yesterday, I was doing my 5th brew since getting it and had a problem keeping it running. When it would stop, the only way I could get it going was to take head off and reassemble it. Each time, there was nothing in the impeller other then beer or water, no solids. It really frustrated me when I was trying to cool the wort down and had to keep pausing to get it going again.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any idea of what to look for? I called Blichmann but the CS guy is out all week. :(

thx

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Blichmann Riptide, bummed
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:14:58 am »
Is it jamming?  I had a problem with my chugger pump once when I took it apart where it wouldn't work right.  Is it flow rate dependent?  I don't have one of those, I have a chugger but I seem to remember that I had a problem like that when I took it apart once.  It was a while ago, but I think I had the impeller in backwards or something (which doesn't appear to have any directionality to it).
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 11:20:35 am »
I think there is a known flaw. Something to do with a part swelling when hot and causing it to cease. Email Blichmann

Edit - read this thread - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=631018

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:23:45 am »
Thanks

I have never had head off up until now. When I did get it to start pumping again, it pumped so pretty sure impeller was right. When it wouldnt pump you could hear that the impeller or motor wasn't running. I leave power on and remove head and motor start running. Put it back together and sometimes it would run, sometimes not.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:30:47 am »
Sounds like you are having the same issue as others. The head cavitates, the impeller shaft swells, impeller stops. Close the valve all the way before powering on. Once spinning, open the valve slowly until you get wort moving. Open wide once below 200°.

Sucks that this expensive pump has serious flaws.

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:54:58 am »
Sounds like you are having the same issue as others. The head cavitates, the impeller shaft swells, impeller stops. Close the valve all the way before powering on. Once spinning, open the valve slowly until you get wort moving. Open wide once below 200°.

Sucks that this expensive pump has serious flaws.

Thanks Stevie and yes it does suck. One of those things where you think if you spend more, the better it will be. Ugh

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 12:15:43 pm »
Is this your first pump? If so, they do take a bit of fiddling to get working. Try the steps above and report back

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 12:47:53 pm »
yes, I was going to get a chugger but found the riptide. I did send them an email asking for the updated impeller as that appears to be the probable culprit.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 01:58:58 pm »
The easy disassembly is appealing. I break my chugger down after running cleaner through it after I had a few stuck impellers. At some point the screws will wear down and I’ll need to replace the head or shroud. Not an issue with the riptide.

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 02:02:55 pm »
Well the good news is I heard back from Blichmann. They are sending me new impeller. Quick response anyway.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 03:31:19 pm »
At one time they were talking about offering the head and shroud as an upgrade to existing March and Chugger pumps - I assume that is no longer the case?  It is good to see a quality manufacturer own up to an operational defect and quickly move to clear it up.  I may go with the riptide, but I have a fully operational March 809 with a stainless head that I can't see retiring as yet.  I also have the Topsflo DC pump and it squealed with boiling liquid, but I realized right away that the boiling liquid was pulling in steam from the kettle bottom, so I quit using it while boiling and run my wort through the IC whirlpool chiller once I power off the element (the Topsflo is otherwise virtually silent).  Between these two pumps, I probably will not upgrade to the Riptide, though I like the breakdown capability it presents.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"