Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Are my BSG Amarillo hops old?  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Are my BSG Amarillo hops old?
« on: October 10, 2017, 06:20:00 pm »
I went to dry hop an IPA tonight and opened a new packet of Amarillo hops from BSG. The package date was 3/14/16. Out of habit I gave them a sniff and things smelled OFF! They smelled somewhere between tea-like and a mild basil, and slightly of cardboard.... in fact, they are a bit minty to boot. Even did a good rubbing but same smell. I also had to get my nose right down in the pack to be able to pick out these aromas. Needless to say, I subbed out some centennial, but has anyone experienced this in the past?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:32:55 pm by Steve L »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline jekeane

• 1st Kit
Re: Are my BSG Amarillo hops old?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:16:10 pm »
Was it a sealed factory package?  If so those should be nitrogen flushed and will last a couple of years if if stored in a freezer unopened and the bag integrity holds up.  My guess is there was a break in the bag seal issue.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:12:16 pm »
I assume you kept them frozen as well? Amarillo has been pretty hit and miss the last couple years IMO, and I've bought from 2 or 3 different suppliers. Having said that, I've used hops many times that came across much better in the finished product than in the sniff test from the bag. Now having said THAT, I don't use hops that smell noticeably bad. 
Jon H.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 05:21:28 pm »
I went back and found the top that I cut away and... damn... Gonna be checking my hop bags more closely when I buy them.

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:42:40 am »
I went back and found the top that I cut away and... damn... Gonna be checking my hop bags more closely when I buy them.

Yeah, that sucks. 
Jon H.