Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew day.  (Read 4225 times)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Brew day.
« on: August 05, 2017, 12:05:58 pm »
I'll be brewing a pale ale today using my new robobrew with pump.
In my past Brews the grain bill has been 80% 2 row and 20% Munich 10.
This time around I want to have a little more body. So I'm thinking of mashing at 156 and or adding some diffrent malt to the grain bill.
At my LHBS I saw some caramunich and crystal wheat, I've never used either of those before.
I'm thinking of adding a little Crystal wheat to the existing grain bill or replacing the Munich 10 with Caramunich, or both 50/50.
Any thoughts? I appreciate everybody's feedback.

Thanks,
Curtis.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
Re: Brew day.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:19:09 pm »
The caramunich is great for adding body and head retention it is easy to over use and end up with too sweet of a beer especially with the high mash temp I would err on the side of caution, Make some tests teas with the malt so you have a better idea of your flavour profile . I have no experience with crystal wheat but have heard it's very important when brewing big 8 % Bavarian Wheat Ales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:21:47 pm »
This time around I want to have a little more body. So I'm thinking of mashing at 156 and or adding some diffrent malt to the grain bill.
At my LHBS I saw some caramunich and crystal wheat, I've never used either of those before.
I'm thinking of adding a little Crystal wheat to the existing grain bill or replacing the Munich 10 with Caramunich, or both 50/50.

Thanks,
Curtis.

I would not just simply sub out your 20% munich malt for Caramunich or crystal wheat in those proportions. I would treat the crystal wheat and caramunich as cara/crystal malts which will add body and overall sweetness to the beer depending on the lovibond.

Maybe shoot for 4% each of caramunich/crystal wheat, 12% munich, and the rest base malt?  I would also keep your mash temps fairly low if using those malts to be sure the final gravity will reach a proper attenuation. (150-152F)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:35:41 pm »

Thanks,
Curtis.

I would not just simply sub out your 20% munich malt for Caramunich or crystal wheat in those proportions. I would treat the crystal wheat and caramunich as cara/crystal malts which will add body and overall sweetness to the beer depending on the lovibond.

Maybe shoot for 4% each of caramunich/crystal wheat, 12% munich, and the rest base malt?  I would also keep your mash temps fairly low if using those malts to be sure the final gravity will reach a proper attenuation. (150-152F)
Thanks for the advise.
I hav'nt been hitting my estimated FG at all. According to BS2 and Brewer's Friend my final gravity should be somewhere around 1.012-1.014 I'm usually at 1.010-1.008.
Ive tried controlling fermentation temps to fix that problem but then my final pH changes as well. So from what I understand, mashing at a higher temp for less fermentable sugars = higher FG.
I have been using wlp001.
Of course when went to purchase my grain earlier they didn't have either of the aforementioned, so I stuck with the usual.
Maybe I should bring down my sulfate also. If I remember correctly high sulfate can great a drier finish.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 02:56:04 pm »

Thanks,
Curtis.

Thanks for the advise.
I hav'nt been hitting my estimated FG at all. According to BS2 and Brewer's Friend my final gravity should be somewhere around 1.012-1.014 I'm usually at 1.010-1.008.
Ive tried controlling fermentation temps to fix that problem but then my final pH changes as well. So from what I understand, mashing at a higher temp for less fermentable sugars = higher FG.
Of course when went to purchase my grain earlier they didn't have either of the aforementioned, so I stuck with the usual.
Maybe I should bring down my sulfate also. If I remember correctly high sulfate can great a drier finish.

Keep in mind that those FGs are just guesses.  You're plenty close enough.  If you want more body, you'll have more luck by adjusting your grist rather than mash temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 01:25:26 am »

Thanks,
Curtis.

Thanks for the advise.

Keep in mind that those FGs are just guesses.  You're plenty close enough.  If you want more body, you'll have more luck by adjusting your grist rather than mash temp.
Thanks Denny.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:22:44 pm »
Ok well Brew day was a success, but i had a few things that didn't go as planned.

1. I am used to using Munich 10l.
Apparently they were all sold out of Munich 10l and 20l but there was one bin off by itself that had  MUNICH written in marker on a piece of paper, no lovibond, no country of origin or maltster. It looked. pretty light to me, I tasted it, it was good  so I grabbed what I needed.
This time I also decide to add some honey malt 20l.
By the time the mash was done
I had what was suppost be a 6 srm, Pale Ale look more like 14 srm. I'd say its going to be somewhere around the color of Dales Pale Ale. I wonder how it got so dark?

2. Before having an all in one Robot brewery I used to put the boil kettle in a deep sink full of ice and chill the wort.
This time i had the pleasure of using an immersion chiller. What a hassle and waste of water. I had tubing running every wich way and I was springing leaks everywhere.

There were many benefits to having this all in one brewery.
Over time I'll just have to work out the bugs.

English Pale Ale malt. 84.4%
Munich 60l? 8.9%
Honey Malt 6.7%

Recirculating Mash 152f
5 gallons RO water.

7g gypsum
2g cal clo
2g Epsom

Sparge 2 gallons RO water.

Warrior  FWH- 32ibu
Amarillo 15-    10ibu
FF 7c's 15-       10ibu
Amarillo WP-     5ibu
FF 7c's    WP-     5ibu

Safale Us05.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:17:57 am »
My god!! That's a clean garage!! :o
I'm so jealous :-[

...and it sounds like a successful brew day.  I wonder what caused the dark color.  You should find out more about that munich you used.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 09:39:53 am »

...and it sounds like a successful brew day.  I wonder what caused the dark color.  You should find out more about that munich you used.
Thank you, organization helps me concentrate.
Ive been meaning to call my LHBS.
Thanks for the reminder.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 10:08:41 am »

Thanks for the reminder.

Turned out it was the English pale ale malt that made it darker. It was so good.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 12:20:43 pm »

Thanks for the reminder.

Turned out it was the English pale ale malt that made it darker. It was so good.

Nice!  I may need to try this one out myself.  Do you happen to know what "English pale ale" malt you used?  I wonder if it was a floor malted MO variety?

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:34:46 pm »

Thanks for the reminder.

Nice!  I may need to try this one out myself.  Do you happen to know what "English pale ale" malt you used?  I wonder if it was a floor malted MO variety?
Nothing special just a Breiss pale ale malt.
Not sure why there info said "english".
The Munich is Breiss 10L and the honey malt is Gambrinus.
After that brew I did some research and found that the higher the pH in the boil kettle the more color your wort will have.
My mash pH is usually 5.4 and pre boil is 5.5.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_pH_affects_brewing#Maillard_reactions