Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB and FIAK  (Read 3141 times)

Offline lizaambler

• Cellarman
BIAB and FIAK
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:10 am »
So I've got a 10 gallon Anvil kettle with a FIAK kit. I also work at a sheet metal fabrication shop, and a buddy is building me a false bottom that sits up a bit from the bottom of the kettle so my bag doesn't touch the bottom while BIAB. Can you guys think of any reason I couldn't mash, boil and ferment in the same kettle? Would it be important to pull out the false bottom (stainless) before the boil or fermentation? I'm thinking 5 gallon batches. TIA!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: BIAB and FIAK
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:25:16 am »
IDK WTF FIAK stands for.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:31:57 am »
I am guessing Ferment in a Kettle.....
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline lizaambler

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:59 am »
Exactly. Ferment in a kettle. Sorry!

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:35:18 am »
Aside from losing the ability to remove some/most of the break material and extraneous solids that settle in the chilled wort (kettle), I cannot foresee a negative impact from leaving your false bottom in the fermentation vessel (it's SS after all).  Some folks toss in everything from the kettle anyway, in which case your scenario would be very similar.  Of course, it would seem very easy to remove the false bottom at some point during the boil just so it doesn't have to sit in there for the duration of the fermentation (it's 6s though).

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:07 am »
My previous lame comment aside, I actually think this is an awesome idea.  Go for it, and please report back with your results.  I might be interested in doing something similar.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline lizaambler

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:01:53 am »
A cool thing about the Anvil kettles is that the dip tube rotates so when you move to secondary or package, you can move the beer off of all the trub and yeast. I use a hop basket so there's not much vegetal matter left. I'll let y'all know!