Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to learn more about yeast  (Read 3208 times)

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Where to learn more about yeast
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:20:52 pm »
Good afternoon!

I am looking for a resource to learn more about yeast. I feel like this is the one part of brewing that I just don't know enough about. Specifically, I'm looking to learn about how the different strains impact beer flavor, basics of how it does what it does, etc. Im not looking to get too crazy sciencey about it, but just some additional general-ish info on it. Are there any books or anything dedicated to this?

I have read John Palmers How to Brew, but that is about the extent of my knowledge on yeast. 

Any reccommendations? ive been trying to use different strains when I brew, but im one of those guys that does a different style every time and hasn't brewed the same recipe 2ce on any more than like 2 recipes :P

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Where to learn more about yeast
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:37:08 pm »
The best way to learn is to brew the same thing over and over again changing only one thing....like the yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 02:04:35 pm »
Like Denny says, play around, experiment, and learn for yourself what it does.

Lately I have been splitting every batch of beer I make, using two different yeasts, then comparing results.  Inevitably, half the batch turns out excellent, and the other batch mediocre.  If I continue in this fashion, half my beer will always suck, half might be quite good, and eventually, I'll know what to do.

There's only so much reading we can do regarding yeast.  They are living creatures, always evolving, and somewhat finicky.  The best way to learn is to use them, try different strains, try different temperatures, try different pitching rates, try liquid vs. dry packets........ and keep on playing until we find what we need to do to produce the beer that WE like to drink.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 05:43:53 pm »
Yeast by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff is a good read.  It covers the basics, intermediates, and touches on some advanced.  It may have more info that you really want to know but you could always just read the chapters you're interested in and leave the others for a later time (if ever).

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 06:15:40 pm »
I would also recommend Brewing Yeast and Fermentation by Boulton and Quain. Deeper than the excellent White and Jamil book, and challenges some of their assumptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 04:08:20 am »
Yes, agree with Denny.  As far as I know there isn't a guide that says use this yeast and get theses flavors & aromas.  However, he strains are generally categorized by the aroma & mouthfeel properties that they can produce for example a Belgian style yeast will produce produce to phenolics that give Belgian beers their characteristic aroma. 

Another useful tool I got from my LHBS was a poster from white labs that talks about each of their yeast styles and how they compare to one another in general terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 09:34:25 am »
Most yeast strains available to homebrewers originally come from commercial breweries. If you can get your hands on beer from breweries that use a particular strain, then you can get at least an initial impression of some of the flavor profile.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 08:33:33 am »
thanks for the reccomendations guys!

I may get another 3 gal carboy and try to do two different batches. Im still interested in some reading material though and ill take a look at what was reccommended:)

Offline crockbar

• 1st Kit
    • Home Beer and WIne
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 08:24:59 pm »
thanks for the reccomendations guys!

I may get another 3 gal carboy and try to do two different batches. Im still interested in some reading material though and ill take a look at what was reccommended:)

If you try this can you let us know how it turns out with some feedback.   Unfortunately, I do think the best way is to experiment...
"I used to jog, but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass" - David Lee Roth