Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Club Cider Presing Today,  (Read 2795 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Club Cider Presing Today,
« on: October 28, 2017, 05:30:09 am »
My club, the Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, is doing the club cider pressing today at Grainger’s Orchard in Howell MI. They have a variety of heritage apples, always increasing, that they make different blends for 4 pressing. Each pressing is ~70 gallons, the club members sign up for what they wish 5 gallons at a time on a google sheet (some rules are applied to the sign up so everyone has an opportunity).

It is a fun day, even though the press room is not heated, and it is damp from the apple washer. It gets a great turn out. It is one of the activities we look forward to.

I highly recommend this for a club activity if you have an orchard in your area that would want to participate with a club. It is a win-win, as the orchard we deal with uses the apples that are not going to be sold at the end of the season, or apples that are not popular, i.e. not Honey Crisp.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Club Cider Presing Today,
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:25:37 am »
Spunds great!  Tis the season, huh?  We're going to a cider pressing at our neighbor's house today and pressing our own apples next weekend.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 08:36:34 am »
Sweet.  Literally.

I have a lot of apples this year but unable to juice them as my juicer died (kitchen appliance burned up after just 2 quarts).  I don't have a fancy press.  Guess I'll just make sauce.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:26:48 am »
That is an interesting idea for clubs that live in areas with apple trees. I'm bringing this up to my club!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 02:01:39 pm »
There is a club near me that does this. It sounds like a fun time! I'm not much into hard cider but it is definitely a great idea for a club event.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 06:55:41 pm »
It was a fun day. I will sleep well tonight.

If you have an orchard near you clubs location, approach them about doing this. I found out today that tha AABG has been doing this activity for 9 years. Where did the time go?

If your club is working on doing this with your local orchard, and they have questions, give me a message and I will give contact information to the Graingers. They can give the orchards perspective, which would help. There has to be some positives for them to have done it for 9 years.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!