Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brett bottling  (Read 3642 times)

Offline OGNZLZ

• 1st Kit
Brett bottling
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:06:54 am »
Alright, I know this may have been discuss previously but I couldn't find the thread.
I have a saison that I added Brett b. on secondary. It has been in secondary for 7 months and the gravity is stable and I think it should be OK to bottle. My question is; do I just use regular 22oz bomber style bottles or should I go for the Belgium 750 ml to avoid beer bombs if there is any since i still need to add the priming sugar and I do not know how the Brett will react to it.

Thanks for your help

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brett bottling
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:19:14 am »
Regular bottles will be fine if you carbonate to normal levels and are sure the Brett is done doing it’s thing.

Offline OGNZLZ

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:34:03 am »
I think  it has since its been steady at 1.010 for the last 3 weeks but it is brett so who knows

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:57:02 am »
I wouldn’t bottle yet. Brett can take beers down to near or even below 1.000. I’d wait at least another month and test again.

Offline OGNZLZ

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 10:02:14 am »
okay, Thanks. would it be possible to bottle it as it is in belgian bottles either cork only or the crown finish ones? and should it be capped or corked.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:22:06 am »
Possibly,  but you could end up with overcarbed beer. I think the general rule is .001 = 1 volume. I’d wait at least another few weeks and measure again.

I don’t know if there is a big difference between capped or corked Belgian bottles. The capped ones sure are easier.

Offline OGNZLZ

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 10:31:23 am »
Thanks Stevie

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:30:29 am »
Alright, I know this may have been discuss previously but I couldn't find the thread.
I have a saison that I added Brett b. on secondary. It has been in secondary for 7 months and the gravity is stable and I think it should be OK to bottle. My question is; do I just use regular 22oz bomber style bottles or should I go for the Belgium 750 ml to avoid beer bombs if there is any since i still need to add the priming sugar and I do not know how the Brett will react to it.

Thanks for your help

I recently made a Brett b beer and bottled it and here's how it went for me. My saison yeast stalled at 1.020 so I pitched Brett. The layer of penicle formed and I let the carboy sit for 6 weeks on the Brett. I never read the fg and decided to bottle.
I use a bottling bucket, with a silicon tube and plastic bottle filler. I used priming sugar and 750ml swing tops. I have had no bottle bombs so far, the beer has been finished in bottled since around August. I brewed the beer on April first, just had a bottle last night actually.

Me personally, I think you should be fine. If I remember correctly, I used .75 of a cup priming sugar.

I also made another saison with the white labs sour mix hat has Brett. Followed the same process, and that beer hasn't had any issues either.

I recommend swing tops because they have worked for me and the 750s have pretty thick glass.

Cheers.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 05:34:42 am »
Brett "can" go to 1.000 but I've had it finish at 1.010 before. The problem is that it's slow, and "can" stall and restart. Age won't hurt it fortunately,  so just make sure you take two separate final gravity samples about 6 weeks apart that end up being identical before you bottle. And I believe in heavy Belgian glass rather than worrying about thin glass exploding in my hand...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

Brett bottling
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 07:28:59 am »
Just read this last night. Bottling lagers with Brett. I want to give it a shot, but I’d like to have an example first.

http://draftmag.com/brett-lagers-arent-an-oxymoron/