Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mt Hood APA/IPA  (Read 4125 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Mt Hood APA/IPA
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:16:18 pm »
So for a club meeting, I brewed up the same single(almost) hop beer as 25 others. Beer started at 1.063 and finished at 1.013 for about 6.6% ABV. The grist was 92.2% 2 row, 4.3% C40, 3.4% Cara-pils. Bitterred with 33.8 IBU of Galena at 60, then finished with Mt Hood. Everyone made the same beer with different finishing hops. I got the leftovers back and want to dry hop in the keg. What would you use with Mt Hood? I have the usual suspects on hand plus a lot if hops I have yet to use: Azacca, Cleopatra, El Dorado, Equinox, Galaxy. Leaning towards the Equinox as everyone seems to have about it. Which would you use and how much per gallon?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Edit: typed OG in wrong
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:52:35 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Mt Hood APA/IPA
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:56:24 pm »
Azacca is the mildest of those and would work great 1:1 . It'd be my pick. Equinox deserves the praise but is much stronger than Mt Hood, so 3:1 would be better there. Any of those could work nicely, though I'd rank El Dorado last with Mt Hood.

Edit - For 5 gallons,  I like 5 oz-ish to keg dry hop IPA, Frank. 2.5 ish oz for APA.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:04:31 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:05:54 pm »
Azacca is the mildest of those and would work great 1:1 . It'd be my pick. Equinox deserves the praise but is much stronger than Mt Hood, so 3:1 would be better there. Any of those could work nicely, though I'd rank El Dorado last with Mt Hood.

Edit - For 5 gallons,  I like 5 oz-ish to keg dry hop IPA, Frank. 2.5 ish oz for APA.
Thanks Jon, looks like I need to find my Azacca

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:07:54 pm »

If you use it I'll be curious to see how it comes out!
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39:07 pm »

I'll let you know Jon. Found the hops

Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:57:11 pm »

I'll let you know Jon. Found the hops

Jon, I wound up using 4oz Azacca for the remaining 4 gallons. I think that's what you were suggesting. Its definitely a lot cloudier now than before the dry hop. As for flavor, I think it's a bit muddled. More flavor than before the dry hop, but nothing jumping out at me as far as my sensory perception goes. I'm no super taster though, but it definitely has more hop flavor just nothing specific. The Azacca were 2015 from Niko. Vac sealed bag, in my freezer. Never opened until I went to use them. More experimenting needed for me with Azacca. My first kegging experience is going well enough that I bought 4 more from AIH when they had them on sale 2 weeks ago

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:02:15 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 06:35:31 am »
Frank, just curious - was that Azacca only dry or a 1:1 blend with Mt Hood? As for the dry hop haze, it diminishes greatly in a week for me. Azacca has always been a nice mango-peach, with a little citrus and pine when I've used it, never non-descript and generic. If it isn't like that at all, I wonder about the hops' condition/harvest/vendor/age.

OTOH it may be a different beer in a week. Let me know.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »
Frank, just curious - was that Azacca only dry or a 1:1 blend with Mt Hood? As for the dry hop haze, it diminishes greatly in a week for me. Azacca has always been a nice mango-peach, with a little citrus and pine when I've used it, never non-descript and generic. If it isn't like that at all, I wonder about the hops' condition/harvest/vendor/age.

It was only dry. The beer was finished and at a club meeting for a hop comparison. Getting it back with only Galena to bitter and a small dose of Mt. hood at 5 minutes, whirlpool and dry. Then 2 weeks later added the Azacca.

Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:38:39 pm »

It was only dry. The beer was finished and at a club meeting for a hop comparison. Getting it back with only Galena to bitter and a small dose of Mt. hood at 5 minutes, whirlpool and dry. Then 2 weeks later added the Azacca.

Here's a couple shots of it Jon

Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 08:43:43 pm »

Here's a couple shots of it Jon

And a third much later in the glass, as it warmed. Guess I have a chill haze problem:

Frank L.