Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tighthead Brewing Powerful Pils  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Tighthead Brewing Powerful Pils
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:29:09 pm »
I grabbed a 4 pack of tall boys of Tighthead's Powerful Pils, after thoroughly enjoying their "Chilly Waters" pale ale. Has a fun label (sticker over blank can) with a mad scientist with pills of hops.

http://www.tightheadbrewing.com/

From the can:
We use Czech Pilsen and Munich malts, German Polaris hops, and the World Famous Urquell yeast to create this authentic Czech style Pilsner. The assertive hop bitterness is well balanced by a complex malt sweetness. The prickly carbonation and crisp, clean finish make this beer the perfect summer crusher. We add hops in the whirlpool, dry hops in the fermenter, and its served unfiltered for max power. Powerful Pils. Oh yeah!

At 6% ABV, the beer is pretty easy to drink. The head starts of nice and white, not terribly tall, but fades to a thin level. The beer is golden and hazy. The aroma comes across as a mix of a classic pils and german riesling. Flavorwise, their's a bit of malt sweetness in the background but the hops dominate. Not very bitter, but a very grape juice/sweet riesling character. I get a bit of herbal/mint character in the finish. A nice beer, but not really my style.

Style wise, is this a pilsner? It seems more like a mix of a NEIPA and a lager. It doesn't really have the hop character (tropical/pineapple) I think of in a NEIPA, but the color, haze, and smooth hop flavor remind me of the style. I'm also from the Midwest, so what do I know? Not necessarily my cup of tea, but a very nice beer and one I'd recommend for a white wine drinker.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: Tighthead Brewing Powerful Pils
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:56:02 am »
German Pils guidelines (BJCP 2015) are 4.2%-5.2% ABV. IBU are 22 - 40. Hops used are the German Noble Hops (Hallertau, Spalt, Tettnang, etc.). The beer is usually clear, at least that is what I shot for.
Czech Premium Pale lager (or Bohmeian Pils) guidelines (BJCP 2015) are  4.2% - 5.8% ABV, IBU are 30 - 45. Hops used are Saaz hops. This beer is also usually clear.
When I brew my versions, I just use pilsen malt. 
So, is what you have there a pils? Probably not. Ultimately what matters is does the beer taste good and do you enjoy it. So maybe it is a NEIPL.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17