Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Dirty Bastard - Ultimate Scotch Style Ale  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
Dirty Bastard - Ultimate Scotch Style Ale
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:12:32 pm »
This isn't a review.  It's a challenge.  I dare you to name a better Scotch Style Ale that can be purchased in the USA all year long.  If you can't, then you are welcome to provide your own recipe if you think it's better than the Bastage.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Dirty Bastard - Ultimate Scotch Style Ale
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:25:00 pm »
Love DB, and agree its prob the best overall but I would say that Oskar Blue's Old Chub stands up there with it.  Great Divide Claymore also right up there, as far as US year rounders are concerned.

Cigar City Big Sound is my fave US SA but its seasonal.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:26:37 pm »
AFAIK, I can get Traquair House in the US all year.  I ould be wrong about that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 12:44:07 pm »
I'm a big fan of Old Chub, too, but really like DB as well. Traquair is still my fave and IIRC still year round as Denny said. Could be wrong.
Jon H.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:34:24 pm »
AFAIK, I can get Traquair House in the US all year.

Or you could use Skotrat's clone recipe and not have to worry about when it's commercially available.

http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/ale/scottish/recipes/10.html 
Ralph R.

Offline BrewBama

Dirty Bastard - Ultimate Scotch Style Ale
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 06:10:40 pm »
Interestingly, my Traquair House recipe lists EKG and Nottingham yeast (also described in AHA reply #25: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=8071.15) vs Skotrat’s recipe listing N Brewer and Scottish yeast. Skotrat acknowledges the hop choice but does not address the yeast variation in post #1 of that same thread.

The description for the source of my recipe says “Traquair House Ale is a deep reddish, full-bodied and richly- flavored ale. It carries an alcoholic warmth, hop bitterness and smoky malt flavor that is unmatched by any other beer.” 

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:19:59 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:17:53 am »
AFAIK, I can get Traquair House in the US all year.

Or you could use Skotrat's clone recipe and not have to worry about when it's commercially available.

http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/ale/scottish/recipes/10.html

Which is exactly what I do!  It's the base of me Wee Shroomy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 03:23:41 pm »
Traquair is a $7 a pint beer that I can buy all year long.  It's a very good beer that is worth no more than $3 a pint.  However, it's a very un-pragmatic beer that is getting pumped by a preacher of beer pragmatism, ITT.  The linked recipe uses no oak.  Did Traquair stop fermenting in oak?  I doubt it. 

Even if money is not a factor:  Dirty Bastard > Traquair all day long..   

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 04:22:17 pm »
Old Chub is decent.  Maybe a little better than decent, but it uses too much smoked malt for the style depending on who defines it.  It's too thick and it lacks the carefully crafted malt complexity that DB reliably provides.  DB is elegant.  OC isn't.

So far, Great Divide Claymore is the only Scotch Ale I haven't tried mentioned so far.  I can buy it locally and will try it soon.  Thanks.

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 05:17:48 pm »
One thing I thought about since pondering this thread is I can't think of a bad beer that a pro brewer made with the designation of Scotch Ale and I've tried many of them.  Not many brewers even try to make a Scotch Ale.  It's a good style.   

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 05:57:32 am »
One thing I thought about since pondering this thread is I can't think of a bad beer that a pro brewer made with the designation of Scotch Ale and I've tried many of them.  Not many brewers even try to make a Scotch Ale.  It's a good style.   

I feel the same way, that most that I've had have been good.  Of course I can't remember them all. 

I think it's available year round, although probably not available much outside of Colorado, but the Odell 90 Shilling is fantastic.  Did two taster trays there with some friends and that one blew the other 11 out of the water.

We just recently got Founders in Oregon, so I haven't tried Dirty Bastard yet, but I do have a bottle of Backwoods Bastard in the fridge that I picked up a couple days ago.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 08:59:54 am »
I'm a fan of Old Chub but I agree it's not entirely to style. It's more of an Americanized adaptation of scotch ale.

Dirty Bastard is on the short list of top scotch ales brewed here. Alesmith Wee Heavy might edge it out for me. I think it's a year round beer for them.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 10:28:53 am »
Dirty Bastard is Americanized also. 50 IBUs, balanced with a high % of Crystal malt.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!