Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brew bag question  (Read 2868 times)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
brew bag question
« on: October 15, 2017, 10:18:30 am »
Hey all,

I am going to use a brew bag in my cooler (mash tun). I have read that I may end of with more wort than usual due to wort draining out of bag when pulling it out of mash tun. Although in one way this is good, I guess it would also dilute the wort down some. Should I adjust my mash sparge water volumes to compensate for this?

thx

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: brew bag question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 11:08:14 am »
I didn't get any more wort than usual when I used a bag in my cooler.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 11:13:32 am »
I squeeze as much wort out of the bag as possible. After the tun drains from the batch sparge, I sit the bag in a large mesh colander and let gravity have a go for a while. With a bit of prodding and pushing, I get another gallon out of the bag.

Because of this, I adjusted my Beersmith profile to have a BIAB grain absorption (.586) instead of all grain (.96). This nets me just the right amount of water & wort.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
brew bag question
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:16:15 pm »
+1. I get more wort when I began lautering with a bag vs without. I attribute this to completely draining the bag with a colander vs a less disciplined drain without. I don't squeeze.  I simply adjusted over time. It is very predictable now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:23:35 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 02:28:16 pm »
+1. I get more wort when I began lautering with a bag vs without. I attribute this to completely draining the bag with a colander vs a less disciplined drain without. I don't squeeze.  I simply adjusted over time. It is very predictable now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe I was getting more wort of out my mash in the cooler and that's why I don't see a difference with the bag.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 03:48:10 pm »
I reduced my dead space down to zero (from just over a quart) by going to the bag. The bulkhead/valve conversion I used had the braid sitting a little higher than when using the mini keg bung and obviously left more wort behind.. Regardless, I'm a big fan of the bag in cooler approach.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 04:09:47 pm »
I reduced my dead space down to zero (from just over a quart) by going to the bag. The bulkhead/valve conversion I used had the braid sitting a little higher than when using the mini keg bung and obviously left more wort behind.. Regardless, I'm a big fan of the bag in cooler approach.
Do you sparge? I have gone no sparge lately since trying LODO. I have been doing no sparge BIAB in my kettle. I have thought about going back to batch sparge with a bag to get improved efficiency. But,  haven’t yet because that might introduce oxygen. Which may or may not be a problem preboil.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 04:20:30 pm »
Do you sparge? I have gone no sparge lately since trying LODO. I have been doing no sparge BIAB in my kettle. I have thought about going back to batch sparge with a bag to get improved efficiency. But,  haven’t yet because that might introduce oxygen. Which may or may not be a problem preboil.

No, I'm no sparging since the switch over, Tommy. I'm really happy with the results lately and like the direction things are going.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 04:35:09 pm »

No, I'm no sparging since the switch over, Tommy. I'm really happy with the results lately and like the direction things are going.
Me, too. I get 70-71% efficiency since switching versus 80% before. I have to remind myself efficiency is not a score. It’s the taste of the beer that matters.

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 06:50:20 am »
good info, thanks everyone.