Author Topic: Blichmann Ber Gun v2 Question  (Read 1882 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Blichmann Ber Gun v2 Question
« on: October 16, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Morning,

I recently purchased the Blichmann Beer Gun v2 and I am running into some issues with my bottles not staying carbonated.

Here is a link to the gun I purchased http://www.northernbrewer.com/beergun-version-2-with-accessories

So I have been going over tutorials on using the gun and one thing I noticed was many of the videos and the instructions use a dual regulator. I don't have one of those so I have been using a CO2 tank and the manifold from my portable kegerator. I set the PSI to about 6 and then purged the bottle with CO2 for several seconds, filled the bottle with beer, purged the top of the bottle with more CO2, and capped the bottle. After a night in the fridge I opened the bottle and the beer was flat.

So I am trying to figure out what I did wrong. Can you use the gun without a dual regulator? Was my PSI way off? Did I miss a step in the filling process?

Thanks for any help/tips.
-Donde

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
Re: Blichmann Ber Gun v2 Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »
Here is the procedure I use ( I don't have a dual regulator but I do have a manifold that splits the CO2 going to the keg and a separate connection that I use to connect to the BeerGun):
Get the bottles cold,
Turn off the gas to the keg,
Bleed head pressure from keg,
Set pressure regulator to 2-3 lbs (just high enough to push beer from keg to bottle),
Purge bottle with CO2,
Fill bottle,
Cap on foam.
Using this process, I've opened bottles a year after filling and the carbonation was still good.
BJCP Certified

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »
Here is the procedure I use ( I don't have a dual regulator but I do have a manifold that splits the CO2 going to the keg and a separate connection that I use to connect to the BeerGun):
Get the bottles cold,
Turn off the gas to the keg,
Bleed head pressure from keg,
Set pressure regulator to 2-3 lbs (just high enough to push beer from keg to bottle),
Purge bottle with CO2,
Fill bottle,
Cap on foam.
Using this process, I've opened bottles a year after filling and the carbonation was still good.

Thanks for the tips I will give that a shot.

One question, when you say"Bleed head pressure from keg" do you mean use the release valve on the keg until no more gas comes out? Just making sure I am understanding you correctly.
-Donde

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:13:57 PM »
Yes, I bleed the head pressure in the keg by pulling the pressure relief valve until the CO2 is gone. 
BJCP Certified

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »
My process is almost exactly like mainebrewer's. If you have the beer properly carbonated, going into the bottle, I would have a look at your caps or possibly your capper....maybe even your bottles. It sounds to me you're not getting a good seal.