Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ph meter  (Read 4506 times)

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Ph meter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 08:10:40 am »
Shame on us for saving money.   ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 08:31:14 am »
Things to look out for and consider with a cheapo pH meter are the resolution and accuracy.  Make sure that the model is accurate to the hundredths place, not the tenths.  I also have a third buffer solution to check the accuracy of the meter beyond the two used for calibration.

Lastly, think of these as throw-away items.  They rarely last beyond six months, let alone a year, though much better life can be had if you treat the probe end carefully.  It is really not much different than replacing the probe on a higher end model such as the Hanna most people prefer. 

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 08:46:32 am »
I store mine in low pH solution, which should theoretically prolong the life.  I don't have the experience to know if it makes a difference, but figure it doesn't hurt either.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 08:50:49 am »
I also keep mine in storage solution, and at 10 months old it is still working fine.  It is true that the thing doesn't hold calibration very well, but recalibrating it for each brew session takes all of 1 minutes.  Just a data point for you.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 08:57:44 am »
Even a fancy meter should be calibrated for each and every use.  Therefore the net time savings between fancy vs. cheapo = exactly zero.
Dave

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 04:03:24 pm »

I’ve had 2 meters and this was the easiest to calibrate and use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Ph meter
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 09:31:15 pm »
I Use the MW101 and it’s dead on accurate.  Although now I’m not as interested in using it, as brunwaters estimate is always correct for me I just roll with that.   After spending $70 for the mw101 I kinda wish i went with the cheaper pen styles.  The cord is super annoying to work with. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brotillery

• Cellarman
  • You had me at stainless
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 12:26:32 am »
Thanks again guys for the helpful insight. I’m leaning toward the Apera ph60 but also getting a cheapo and doing a side by side comparison.