Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Session Beers: book discussion  (Read 3380 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Session Beers: book discussion
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:52:55 pm »
Somewhat surprised that the Brewer's Publications most recent book hasn't been mentioned around here (or much of anywhere by the AHA). I'm talking about Session Beers--https://www.brewerspublications.com/products/session-beers-brewing-for-flavor-and-balance

I found it pretty underwhelming. It's kind of like BP wanted to publish an updated edition of the beer styles books from the 1990s but instead of doing independent editions they just dumped it into one book. A lot of the text is regurgitating right out of the 1990s books with citations to them, rather than primary sources.

It's pretty light on brewing technique. It covers everything it should but in such light detail. It's basically everything you heard five years ago when session beer was trying to take off as the next big thing (but lost to haze, kettle sours and BA stouts). Nothing terribly advanced, unfortunately.

It reads like BP wanted to put out a session beer book, which was a good idea, but then the fad passed and they still wanted to push the book out so they rushed the author. It reminds me of Stan Hieronymous' last book (Brewing Local) which had the same too much breadth and not enough depth format and felt like it was pushed out to capitalize on the success of Scratch Brewing's similar book. It feels like the quality of BP books has gone way down over the past several years, minus a small number of exceptions.

The highlight of the book is the lengthy recipe section which includes a lot of contemporary pro recipes for popular session beers. It provides a meaningful update to the set of recipes from the 1990s books with some popular beers. The book might be worth purchasing for the recipes if you're the type of brewer that hunts recipes to clone.

Anybody else take a read yet?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: Session Beers: book discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:48:00 pm »
I have not read the book, yet. But, Brad Smith did talk to Ms. Talley on his podcast a few weeks ago. See link below:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/09/06/session-beers-with-jennifer-talley-beersmith-podcast-155/
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:59:50 pm »
Bummer. I guess I’ll wait for the cheap kindle version.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:14:19 pm »
Not a stellar review. I’m going to have to look at this one before buying. The recipes would be the draw for me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:21:47 am »
I'm about 1/2 way through the first section.  It is an okay read but I agree it isn't a "make your eyes bleed" technical text.

About half the book is recipes and their history (I think, haven't gotten that far yet) and I am looking forward to recipe ideas.  I need some lower ABV beers on tap once I can start brewing again.

(I have to have my kitchen torn out by next Tuesday so the house is in chaos.  8^( )

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tastymcd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 06:37:19 pm »
This book is all I had expected and more. It does a great job of identifying the key elements of good session beer. The recipes are great and cover a variety of geographical regions so that you can brew the recipe and find a fresh commercial version in your local market to compare. I highly recommend this book.

Tasty

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 07:15:10 pm »
This book is all I had expected and more. It does a great job of identifying the key elements of good session beer. The recipes are great and cover a variety of geographical regions so that you can brew the recipe and find a fresh commercial version in your local market to compare. I highly recommend this book.

Tasty
Well with Tasty’s recommendation, I’m going to get it.

As I am now an old fart, session beers make sense.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!