Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Conditioning with Sinamar  (Read 4202 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Keg Conditioning with Sinamar
« on: October 21, 2017, 11:20:55 pm »
I typically brew 11-12 gallon batches and split them into two fermenters. Most of the time I'll use different yeasts or dry hop differently or something.

But I had an idea for a new experiment, and wondered how to make it work. I want to brew an American brown ale, keg one half as-is, then keg-condition the other half with enough sinamar to take it firmly into porter territory. I figured I could just add the sinamar to the sugar and water that I boil to prime the keg, but it is unclear to me how much fermentable sugar is in 4 oz of sinamar. Is there enough for me to concern myself with, or should I just treat it like an unfermentable adjunct?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Keg Conditioning with Sinamar
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 12:14:22 am »
No fermentables in sinamar.

https://www.weyermann.de/in/news.asp?go=ne&show=yes&idne=27&umenue=yes&idmenue=4&sprache=

SINAMAR all-natural malt extract, by contrast, is not condensed wort, but condensed beer. Because it contains no fermentables, it is not intended for making beer, but for giving an already existing beer one key characteristic that it may be lacking: A deep-opaque, dark colorbut without acrid, roasted flavors.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:16:33 am by Stevie »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Keg Conditioning with Sinamar
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:49:10 am »
Inhave added sinamar to the keg several times.  There's no fermentation from it, as confirmed above.  But ya know, there,s more to a porter than just color.  I wonder how close you'll get by just making it darker.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 10:32:08 pm »
But ya know, there,s more to a porter than just color.  I wonder how close you'll get by just making it darker.

That is exactly the question i want answered. I suspect 4 oz of sinamar in a keg will add more than just color.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:21:31 am »
But ya know, there,s more to a porter than just color.  I wonder how close you'll get by just making it darker.

That is exactly the question i want answered. I suspect 4 oz of sinamar in a keg will add more than just color.
It will add more than just color, but not very much. Unless you have a lot of roast in your brown ale already it will fall far short of a porter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 08:32:29 am »

What do you expect it to add?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 09:35:05 am »

A smooth roasty flavor akin to cold-steeped carafa, but less intense. Added to the chocolate malt included in the brown ale, I suspect it will produce a smooth pitch-black porter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:57:40 am »

A smooth roasty flavor akin to cold-steeped carafa, but less intense. Added to the chocolate malt included in the brown ale, I suspect it will produce a smooth pitch-black porter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe...I've never seen that happen, though.

www.dennybrew.com