Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to get pH of modified from Bru'nWater  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
How to get pH of modified from Bru'nWater
« on: October 18, 2017, 05:00:29 pm »
I use Bru'nWater to choose my water modifications, but I like to take the finished profile and put it into BeerSmith so I have all the brewing information in one place. BeerSmith wants a pH for the water, but Bru'nWater doesn't give me that, it only gives me a mash pH. It seems like it shouldn't be hard to get the pH of the modified water from all the Bru'nWater inputs, and I was surprised that it isn't there. Am I missing something?

Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: How to get pH of modified from Bru'nWater
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »
Thebrewing water pH does not count for didly.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:17:27 pm »
Yep, it's all about your grist's effect on pH vs your source water's alkalinity vs the pH you want to mash at. Brunwater connects the dots.
Jon H.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:57:51 pm »
I understand that it doesn't really matter to the brewing process. I am just trying to get all the information into BeerSmith in a consistent way. It is a matter of record-keeping, not brewing. I would like BeerSmith's expected mash pH to match that from Bru'nWater so that I only need to keep one dataset for a brew.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 05:59:25 pm by Richard »

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 06:34:32 pm »
The pH of the water BeerSmith is looking for is the pH of your water before you make any additions.  You can get this my measuring it with your pH meter or from the water analysis you had tested for you.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:28:41 pm »
I understand that BeerSmith doesn't take into account the water additions you put on the water sheet. What I want to do is generate a water profile that represents the modified water after I put in the additions recommended by Bru'nWater. I can't do that because BeerSmith needs a pH for a water profile, and Bru'nWater doesn't give me that.

Perhaps I should just give up and ignore the whole water section of BeerSmith and just keep a copy of the Bru'nWater output next to my BeerSmith file for every brew, which is what I am doing now.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 07:34:55 pm »
Mix up some water and take a reading?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 05:59:35 am »
Water pH is virtually meaningless in mashing water. If BS is using that value somehow in their calculations, then it appears that things are truly troubled there. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 07:29:40 am »
I understand that it doesn't really matter to the brewing process. I am just trying to get all the information into BeerSmith in a consistent way. It is a matter of record-keeping, not brewing. I would like BeerSmith's expected mash pH to match that from Bru'nWater so that I only need to keep one dataset for a brew.

I tried to make BeerSmith my whole repository of info on a brew including mash chemistry but I realized it wasn't worth the effort in part because BeerSmith's mash pH calculations do not match Bru'n Water's and I think BeerSmith's calculations are less accurate. 

You could just put in a guesstimated pH if that is the only piece missing.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 09:32:20 am »
Upon further review, BeerSmith does not appear to use the water pH for anything. I can change the value from 6 to 9 and the estimated mash pH does not change. It seems strange to me to ask for an input that isn't used.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 09:49:33 am »
BeerSmith asks for a lot of stuff I don’t care about. I skip the water completely and simply add the salts as ingredients and paste the plain text notes into the notes field.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 11:20:49 am »
BeerSmith asks for a lot of stuff I don’t care about. I skip the water completely and simply add the salts as ingredients and paste the plain text notes into the notes field.

By the way, the Raw Text Summary sheet in the supporter's version of Bru'n Water is set up so that you can highlight and copy the data in that sheet and paste it into a notes log of something like BS or ProMash or others. That's one way to archive your water data.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:58:22 am »

By the way, the Raw Text Summary sheet in the supporter's version of Bru'n Water is set up so that you can highlight and copy the data in that sheet and paste it into a notes log of something like BS or ProMash or others. That's one way to archive your water data.
That’s what I do. The mobile app messes with the tabs, but i just deal.