Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Organic Brewer's Malt reviews? Pils malt reviews?  (Read 3595 times)

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
Briess Organic Brewer's Malt reviews? Pils malt reviews?
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:20:47 pm »
I'm finishing off a bag of Rahr Pale Ale malt and need to get more malt.  Right now my LHBS has a bag of Briess Organic Brewer's malt.  I haven't brewed with this one.  Does anyone have any reviews.  I often brew with a pale malt or marris otter or golden promise malt.

Also thinking about getting some Pilsner malt.  They also have the Briess Pils and Baird Pils malts.  How do these stand up to a german pils malt?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Briess Organic Brewer's Malt reviews? Pils malt reviews?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:46:43 am »
Briess is fine but is my least favorite of all.  I love Great Western when I can find it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline MrPowers

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:21:54 pm »
I've actually used a lot of Briess Organic 2-Row. Built a lot of beers around it. It's a good all around malt and it will probably be the next sack I purchase. It's just as consistent as any large brands. It's not going to be as full flavored as a Pale Ale malt, Maris Otter, or Golden Promise. I think of it as a more rounded/less grainy pilsner malt, just like any low kilned 2-row.

I tend to prefer Gambrinus malting for a domestic Pilsner. I've yet to find any domestic pilsner that rivals Weyermann or Best Malz though. No experience with Bairds.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:06:20 pm »
I use Breiss Pilsen malt. It is good, though not comparable to Weyermann's. It's half the price, though, and in my estimation, good enough. Most beer drinkers wouldn't notice the difference.

Sent from my Coolpad 3632A using Tapatalk

Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:07:29 am »
I use Breiss Pilsen malt. It is good, though not comparable to Weyermann's. It's half the price, though, and in my estimation, good enough. Most beer drinkers wouldn't notice the difference.

I've not used their malt, but have been happy with the dme version of it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 07:57:50 pm »
Weyermann Pils. In my experience there's just no substitute.  I'd like to say there was a domestic  option, but it's  not just about malting but barley,  and when it comes to malting Weyermann is a level above all the other Germans, which all beat domestic on barley.  As for price, in a homebrew size batch, how much more is it really costing you, especially if you buy the bag? 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:36:15 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:40:29 pm »

But most beer drinkers aren't  brewers and we're our own worst critics, right?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.