Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Darkening Malt  (Read 4783 times)

Offline erikn68

• 1st Kit
Darkening Malt
« on: October 19, 2017, 08:06:20 pm »
I am trying to find out what malt others use to darken beer but without any flavor added. I have heard using carafa special II, but I tried in vorlaug but had it grind to a powder and I get the roasty bitter flavor. I want something that has NO roast. Any ideas.

Erik
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!!!!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Darkening Malt
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:16:59 pm »
I am trying to find out what malt others use to darken beer but without any flavor added. I have heard using carafa special II, but I tried in vorlaug but had it grind to a powder and I get the roasty bitter flavor. I want something that has NO roast. Any ideas.

Erik

Midnight Wheat, being huskless, has the least roast of any black malt. It's very, very mild. Past that, Sinamar from morebeer or others is used by some breweries to adjust color and is basically flavorless. I've used both with good results.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:41:33 pm »
It all depends on how much you use. Carafa iii special is my go to but only for 2-3 oz max if I don't want any flavor.

How much did you use?

Midnight wheat has worked well for me as well but gives an ashy flavor to my beers when they are young.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:43:32 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 06:24:41 am »
I've enjoyed the relative tastelessness of a light dosing of Weyermann Chocolate Wheat for color adjustment. I find it works well for Dunkels.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 09:42:22 am »
Wouldn't sinamar be what you want for darkening with no flavor?

I'm not positive, since I never used it, but I thought it's supposed to be flavor neutral.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 10:08:43 am »
Wouldn't sinamar be what you want for darkening with no flavor?

I'm not positive, since I never used it, but I thought it's supposed to be flavor neutral.

Unless you use a huge amount, it is.  It's my go to for darkening.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 08:31:57 am »
I used Black Prinz in my last Dunkel and there is no roast flavor. I only used 2-3 oz though for a 5 gallon batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 01:06:11 pm »
I've had good luck doing a cold brew extraction with 4 ounces of Carafa III in a mesh bag in 2litres of water the night before brew day
I strain the liquid and add to the boil with 5 minutes left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 12:39:14 pm »
I use Brewer's Caramel. It works similar to Sinamar, but with even less flavor impact. I did pay a bit of a premium to have it shipped from the UK, though. I don't think I'd pay that price again when I could just use Midnight Wheat instead.

That roasted bitter flavor from fine-ground, highly roasted malts is often from fine particulates that take a while to fully drop clear. Cold-conditioning usually reduces this over time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 12:40:55 pm »
I use Brewer's Caramel. It works similar to Sinamar, but with even less flavor impact. I did pay a bit of a premium to have it shipped from the UK, though. I don't think I'd pay that price again when I could just use Midnight Wheat instead.

That roasted bitter flavor from fine-ground, highly roasted malts is often from fine particulates that take a while to fully drop clear. Cold-conditioning usually reduces this over time.

What's less than none?  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 12:58:29 pm »

-1 is less than none. :)~ (Sorry, couldn’t help myself)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 08:44:20 pm »
There is a product available in the UK called brewers caramel. Not to be confused with any type of caramel crystal malt. It is only a coloring agent and was used quite a lot by brewers in England and Scotland to darken their end product. https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/brupaks-brewers-caramel.html

“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 07:18:09 am »

And at typical usage rates I can't disagree with that.

I was able to take a pale Pils up to dark Schwarzbier in color and couldn't detect any change in flavor with caramel. For that big of a color swing, I can pick up a hint of roast from Sinamar.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 10:45:15 am »
I have heard using carafa special II, but I tried in vorlaug but had it grind to a powder and I get the roasty bitter flavor.

Carafa Special is made from dehusked barley, but the dehusking procedure does not remove all of the husks, so you can still get a bit of roast character out of it.  According to the talk given by a representative of Briess Malting at NHC, there's something like 40% of the husk remaining.

Blackprinz is made from "hull-less" barley.  My understanding of "hull-less" barely is that the husk is looser than usual and is more easily removed.  I'm not sure whether the final product is 100% free of husks or not.

Midnight Wheat is supposedly totally free of husks.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 11:04:26 am »
Midnight Wheat is supposedly totally free of husks.

That's my understanding too. Which explains it being by far the mildest black malt IMO.
Jon H.