Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water adjustment question  (Read 2697 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Water adjustment question
« on: October 24, 2017, 03:31:21 pm »
Been toying around with water adjustments and trying to gain more understanding of the various variables.  My water after carbon filtration is a fairly blank canvas: Ca= 2, Mg = 0, Na = 13, Sulfate = 0, Cl= 7, HCO3 = 13.  pH is 7.8.  I recently listened to the Homebrew network podcast series on water adjustments and they describe doing all your adjustments as expected for the mash water BUT NOT adding any adjustments to sparge water, rather adding those salts to the kettle following the sparge and before the boil.  Part of the reasoning on this is a lack of solubility of the salts in sparge water (which I have experienced in previous batches).  To that end I will be adding the salts to get my planned profile to the mash and then tossing in the sparge salts after the sparge into the kettle before the boil.  I am also messing around with BrunWater spreadsheet and it mentions some acid additions.  The mash will require 2.9mL of Lactic acid (88%) to the 6.4 gal mash water to hit pH 5.3 (this calculation accounts for a malt bill for a fairly light colored saison of 6 SRM).  It also mentions a sparge acidification and this gets me to my question:

?If I am not adding the salts to the sparge water should I add the recommended lactic acid to the sparge water?
?If not, should I add it with the salts to the kettle once sparge is completed?

Again, baseline water pH is 7.8 so not abundantly alkaline so tempted to just leave it out but if I do am I missing any benefits of it in the kettle once all is said and done?  I may be too deep in the weeds on this but looking for advice.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Water adjustment question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:46:14 pm »
If you're batch sparging, there's no need to acidify the sparge water. If fly sparging, I would acidify the sparge water per Brun Water. As for the salts, adding them to the boil is fine.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 05:00:05 pm »
If you're batch sparging, there's no need to acidify the sparge water. If fly sparging, I would acidify the sparge water per Brun Water. As for the salts, adding them to the boil is fine.

I'd modify that a bit to say that unless you have a ridiculously high RA, yo don't need to acidify.  RA makes more difference than pH.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:17:11 am »

I agree...marginally. Batch sparging results in the final runnings keeping a higher gravity and I find that this factor is important for reducing tannin and silicate extraction. But as Denny mentions, if the tap water has high alkalinity, it could still be deleterious to your beer to NOT acidify your batch sparging water.

Acidification is such a simple step. Why not do it for your sparging water too? 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks