Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FG too low?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
FG too low?
« on: October 20, 2017, 08:04:56 pm »
I have an imperial brown lager with OG of 1.075 that appears to be at 1.010 after two weeks with S189. Is this going to have too much of a bite to it? The hydrometer is bottoming out at the bottom of the fermenter since it was a small batch so it could be even lower. I was worried it would attenuate enough but am having it the opposite problem.

90 minute mash around 150f. Missed my OG so made it up with 2% DME and 2% table sugar. I can provide any additional details when I don’t have to type from my phone...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:24:04 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: FG too low?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 09:36:14 pm »
Carbonation will transform it. Don't judge it until then.
Try a little extra CO2 (maybe an extra 1/4 vol?).  The spritz helps make it seem more bright and lively, thereby fuller than it is.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:45:32 pm »
Thank you. I haven’t even tasted it yet. Was curious where the gravity was at so threw the hydrometer directly into the fermenter. A couple of years ago I had a double black ale that was similar and ended up fine. Planning to bottle in couple of weeks and store it cold until xmas.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:45:52 am »
Checking my notes, my last four lagers with S-189 came in at an average of 78% apparent attenuation. My Oktoberfest came in a little lower than my expectations at 1.010. However, once carbonated, like santoch mentioned, the mouthfeel and the perception of maltiness was right on.

I'm pretty sure that my experience with S-189 is typical: it is said to enhance maltiness. And, all of my lagers were within one point of AA. Your AA seems a bit higher, but it's only a number.

Wait til it's ready to drink, forget the numbers, and see how you like it.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 10:25:46 am »
Thanks. I just have issues with bigger beers apparently. I either get a lot more or a lot less attenuation than expected. I normally get near 80% with S-189 but I guess the longer mash did its job.

This is supposed to be a giveaway Christmas beer which is the main reason for my concern. Last years version was over carbonated which was really disappointing because I didn’t realize until after giving them away.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:21:18 pm »
Well I took a proper reading today and it is actually at 1.016. Not sure how the reading in the fermenter was so misleading. Maybe I thought the line for 1.015 was 1.010...

Sample tastes great but has a very slight alcoholic/solvent bite. I think it will fade with some lagering time. It is actually tasting like what I would expect from a doppelbock although I am admittedly not too familiar with that style. Definite malt bomb with very light notes of chocolate, coffee, and caramel.

64% Munich 9L
18% Pilsner
9% flaked oats
5% caramunich I
2% Brown malt
2% carafa special I

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »
Yes, it looks like S-189 doesn't disappoint. You got exactly 78% apparent attenuation.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'