Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann Brew Machine Rims Process VS. Spike Brewing Machine Herms Process  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Sabin

• 1st Kit
Does anyone have any input on which one of these machines and process would be better.

Any input would help, specially if you have used either machine before.  Thank You

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Rims heats the mash wort directly, in the blichmann brew easy the bottle kettle fires to heat the wort. HERMS uses a heat exchanger placed in the liquor tank to heat the mash wort. The wort never touches direct heat until the boil kettle.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
I have the Blichmann BrewEasy. The Spike system was not available when I bought this, so I cannot comment on that.

My criteria was to establish a "brewroom" to get out of the garage, and the need to store equipment here and there. I wanted an all-electric system that was compact since my brewroom is space limited. I chose the BrewEasy and have been happy with the decision. Love the wort clarity and can live with the loss in efficiency. There is a user video on the Great Fermentations website that is worth watching if you haven't already.

My beers aren't any better than when I was using a picnic cooler and propane burner in the garage, but it works better for me, and keeps me brewing.

Bottom line, it comes down to personal preference and budget. Then learning how to brew on the system you choose.
Roger