Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop blend featuring Nelson Sauvin  (Read 2466 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Hop blend featuring Nelson Sauvin
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:29:19 am »
I have an award winning NE IPA recipe that I want to tweak a little.  My current blend uses Warriors as a bittering hop (60 min) and the rest if a blend of Citra, Mosiac and Galaxy (Flame out, whirlpool and dry hop).  I really love Nelson hops and was thinking of just doing a single hop version, but I may also want to change my blend to incorporate Nelson.  Does anyone have an suggestions of a blend that would go well with Nelson being featured?     

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Hop blend featuring Nelson Sauvin
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 12:07:43 am »
First of all, I have had a hard time getting my hands on Nelson for a couple of years now, so you are a lucky man if you've been able to score some.

Second, the best IPA I've ever brewed used a blend of Nelson, Meridian, Citra, Motueka and Apollo. The Apollo from that harvest was really orangey, so you could probably swap Amarillo in for that, and the Motueka was a bit overpowered, so you could probably drop that altogether. The combo of grapefruit/muscat from Nelson, stonefruit from Meridian, and mango from Citra is killer in fruity IPA's.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 02:04:38 am »
First of all, I have had a hard time getting my hands on Nelson for a couple of years now, so you are a lucky man if you've been able to score some.

Second, the best IPA I've ever brewed used a blend of Nelson, Meridian, Citra, Motueka and Apollo. The Apollo from that harvest was really orangey, so you could probably swap Amarillo in for that, and the Motueka was a bit overpowered, so you could probably drop that altogether. The combo of grapefruit/muscat from Nelson, stonefruit from Meridian, and mango from Citra is killer in fruity IPA's.
Was that one you sent me? If so I recall it being marvellous

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:25:54 am »

Was that one you sent me? If so I recall it being marvellous

I think the one you tried was a single-hop Centennial version based off of this recipe that I was brewing for a limited-ingredient competition. The blend above is like drinking a Mai Tai crossed with an IPA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer